Signing off when you start work

What is signing off?

Signing off is when you contact the Department of Social Protection to stop claiming a jobseeker’s payment or credits.

If you are getting Jobseeker's Allowance, Jobseeker's Benefit or credits you are registered as a jobseeker by the Department of Social Protection.

If you are registered as a jobseeker (in other words, signing-on), you should inform your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office of the date you are going to start work.

This will ensure that you can get any payment due to you up to the date you start work.

You can also get advice about possibly keeping some of your existing benefits and supports when you return to work. When you start work you may be entitled to additional benefits, for example, Working Family Payment.

Find out more about Jobseeker’s Allowance and work.

Find out more about Jobseeker’s Benefit and work.

Close your jobseeker’s payment online

You can close your Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit payment on To do this you will need a MyGovID account.

Page edited: 18 October 2022