Signing on

What is signing on?

If you lose your job, are made redundant, laid off or if your working hours are reduced you may qualify for a social welfare payment, either Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit. When you apply for a jobseeker’s payment you declare that you are available for work, fit for work, looking for work but can't find work. This is also known as signing on.

The difference between Jobseeker’s Benefit and Jobseeker’s Allowance

To get Jobseeker’s Benefit (JB) you must have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions. JB rates are graduated according to earnings. If you are affected by this, it may be of greater benefit for you to claim Jobseeker's Allowance.

To get Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA) you must pass a means test. A means test is when your income is calculated to see whether it falls below a certain level. If it falls below a certain level, you can get Jobseeker’s Allowance.

You will always be assessed for Jobseeker’s Benefit first, unless you have never worked before. When you apply for Jobseeker’s Benefit you are asked if you want to be assessed for Jobseeker’s Allowance. This means that if you don’t qualify for Jobseeker’s Benefit, you will not need to apply a second time to be assessed for Jobseeker’s Allowance.

If you work for part of a week, you may qualify for a jobseeker's payment for the days you are unemployed.

If you leave work voluntarily or as a result of misconduct, you cannot get a jobseeker’s payment for 9 weeks. However, if you have ‘good cause’ to leave voluntarily, for example, any changes in working conditions such as a reduction in pay, harassment or abuse from your employer, you may get your payment. The Deciding Officer in your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office will decide whether you had good cause to leave voluntarily.

If you are self-employed you may get a jobseeker’s payment if you closed your business or the amount of work you are getting has sufficiently reduced. Find out more about self-employed people and unemployment.

Intreo - the integrated employment and support service

Intreo provides a one-stop shop for employment services and income supports with a range of personalised supports to jobseekers including:

  • Information on all the income supports provided by the Department of Social Protection, for example, jobseeker’s payments, back to work and back to education payments, one-parent family payments and pensions
  • Help and advice on employment, training and personal development opportunities
  • Personalised support to help you enter the workforce
  • Self-service facilities with information and guidance on employment and training opportunities
  • Information on job vacancies through

Details of Intreo Centre locations are published on

Signing on for the first time

Applying for a jobseeker’s payment is also known as signing on.

Online applications

You can apply for Jobseekers Benefit or Jobseeker’s Allowance online at

When you log in, you will be asked for some personal and financial information, as well as details of your employment, training or education history. You will also be asked to upload or post any supporting documents that are needed.

You must have a basic MyGovID account to apply online.

Paper applications

You can apply for Jobseekers Benefit or Jobseeker’s Allowance using the application form UP 1.

If you are making a repeat claim (less than 6 months since your last claim), you fill in form UP 6 (pdf).

Find out more about requesting an application form. Forms are also available from your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office.

You will also need certain documents when you apply for a jobseeker’s payment. If you do not have these documents to hand, you should apply anyway and supply them later. You should remember that a delay in applying for a jobseeker’s payment may mean that you lose out on your full entitlements.

You can get help to fill in your application form at your Intreo Centre, Social Welfare Branch Office or Citizens Information Centre.

All jobseekers have to register for a Public Services Card if they have not been issued with one already.

Depending on your personal profile, you may be given an appointment for a further meeting with a DSP case officer. At this meeting your case officer will discuss your options with you and agree your Personal Progression Plan to prepare you to find employment. You will get ongoing advice and support to help you meet the goals in your Personal Progression Plan.

If you do not keep to the conditions of your jobseeker’s payment, your payment can be reduced and eventually stopped altogether.

Visit to read Frequently Asked Questions about Intreo and Your Pathway to Work.

Getting paid

Your jobseeker’s payment is paid weekly by the Department of Social Protection.

Jobseekers collect their weekly payment at their local Post Office.

Your jobseeker's payment can be paid into your bank account or another financial institution if you are also working part-time or short-time or on a casual basis.

If you are over 62, you can collect your payment at your local Post Office or paid into your bank account or another financial institution.

You can collect your jobseeker’s payment weekly from your nearest post office. You must bring valid photographic identification (photo ID) or your Public Services Card with you to collect your payment. Valid photo ID includes a driving licence, a passport or a IRP card.

Signing on every month

When you get your jobseeker’s payment, you will have to sign a declaration, usually every month, that you are still unemployed and qualify for a jobseeker’s payment. You may be asked to sign on more or less frequently.

Your Intreo Centre will let you know how often you must sign on. You will be given a place, date and time to sign on.

If you don’t sign on the set day or by the end of the following day, your payment is suspended. If you don’t sign on, your payment may be stopped.

Other benefits

Supplementary Welfare Allowance provides a basic weekly allowance to eligible people who have little or no income. If your weekly income is below the Supplementary Welfare Allowance rate for your family size, a payment may be made to bring your income up to the appropriate Supplementary Welfare Allowance rate.

If you have claimed any social welfare payment, but it has not been paid and you have no other income, you may qualify for Supplementary Welfare Allowance while you are waiting for your payment.

If you get Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit or Supplementary Welfare Allowance you may be entitled to other social welfare and health benefits.

If your income is below a certain amount you may get a medical card or a GP visit card.

You may get help with paying your rent. If you are in local authority housing you should contact your local authority and ask for a review of your rent.

You may get help with the cost of uniforms and footwear for your children. The Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance Scheme operates from 1 June to 30 September each year.

If you have an exceptional or urgent need, for example, help with a funeral bill, you can apply for a range of discretionary payments from the DSP's representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer). Visit for contact details.

Where to apply

You apply for Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance to your Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office.

Page edited: 2 March 2023