Moving to a new home


If you are moving house or apartment, you may need to close some household accounts and transfer others to your new address. You will also need to change your contact details with different agencies and services and redirect your post for a time.

If you are selling your home, you should ensure that furniture, fittings and carpets are clearly covered in the sale agreement, to avoid any disputes in the future.

If you are a tenant, you will need to check the conditions of your tenancy agreement and the required notice periods, in order to avoid any disputes with your landlord.

The information below covers some of the items to be completed when you are moving, but it is not an exhaustive list.

Leaving your rented accommodation

If you have been renting, you will need to give the landlord proper notice if you decide to move out. This applies whether you are renting from a local authority, approved housing body (AHB) or private landlord. If you have a written tenancy agreement or lease, check it to see what notice period has been agreed. You will also need to check the other conditions of your agreement to avoid any disputes with your landlord.

Notice requirements for private tenants are detailed in Private tenants: security of tenure. Your landlord must follow the terms of any lease and the provisions of residential tenancies legislation when giving you notice to leave.

Before you move out you should:

  • Check the inventory
  • Clean the accommodation
  • Record the condition of the property, photographs are a good way to do this
  • Pay any outstanding bills or charges, otherwise you risk losing part or all of your deposit

The Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) has more information on what happens at the end of a tenancy.

If you own a rented property and want to move back in, you need to follow certain rules and procedures when asking your tenants to leave. The rules differ depending on how long your tenants have been in the accommodation. Find out about these rules in our document If your landlord wants you to leave.

Renting out your home

If you are moving and want to rent out your old home, there are a number of things you should consider. You will have certain rights and responsibilities as a landlord, including ensuring that the accommodation meets certain standards and the tenancy is registered with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB). There are also rules if you want to rent your property for short-term lets. You will also have to pay tax on the rental income you earn.

If you decide to rent a room in your new home, landlord and tenant law may not apply. Also, the rental income you earn will be exempt from income tax, provided it does not exceed a certain limit.

Transferring your utilities to your new address

Utility accounts (such as electricity, water, gas and waste collection) will need to be closed or transferred into the name of the new owners or tenants. If you are moving from rented accommodation, your landlord may ask you to transfer these services into their name. Take final readings for all metered services before you leave, so that the utility companies can issue final bills, and ensure that you have paid any charges that you owe.

If you are moving into a home that has been previously occupied, ask the previous owners to transfer the utility accounts into your name and to make sure that there are no outstanding charges. Contact the utility providers in good time to ensure that everything is connected when you move in. Take initial readings for all metered services as soon as you take possession of the premises. Photographs are a good way to keep a record of these readings.

Most utility providers have information on their websites about how to transfer or move your account. You may also be able to do this online.

Transferring your telephone, broadband and TV services

For these services, you may be able to transfer your account(s) from your previous address, depending on where you are moving and the coverage available. Check with your service provider(s) to see whether you can transfer your account(s) or whether you need to arrange for these services separately in your new home. There may be a connection fee, depending on your service provider and the type of service you need. Ideally you should give your provider at least one months’ notice of your move so that these services are transferred when you move in. This might also be an opportunity to shop around for a better deal for these services, or to set up a new subscription from your new address with your current provider.

If you have a mobile phone, you will need to notify your contract provider so they can update your billing information. This can usually be done online through your provider’s website or over the phone.

ComReg has detailed information on a range of topics about home and mobile phone contracts.

Transferring your television licence

If you have a television, you must have a TV licence. When moving house, you should change the TV licence to your new address. You can do this online if you have your TV Reference Number and PIN. Otherwise, you can contact your local TV licence records office to request a transfer, or else bring the licence to a post office with a document showing the new address and asking for your details to be updated. Your licence will be updated and re-issued to you.

Finding your new Eircode

Eircode is Ireland’s postcode system. Your Eircode is unique to your address. It consist of 7 numbers and characters, and is used to identify the exact location of your home. It is used for many reasons, such as allowing businesses, utility providers and emergency services to identify your exact location accurately and quickly.

You can use the Eircode Finder to find the Eircode for your new home.

Redirecting your post

An Post’s redirection service will ensure that your mail is forwarded to your new address. This service is generally offered for periods of 1, 3, 6 and 12 months. You can apply online or at any post office. You will need to provide proof of your identity and evidence of your old address and pay the appropriate fee.

An Post will then redirect all your post to your new address from an agreed date. You will still need to give your new address to anyone else who may be writing to you, as your mail will not be redirected after the agreed period has ended.

Changing your address on the Electoral Register

If you want to vote in an election or referendum in Ireland you must be on the electoral register. The Electoral Register is maintained by your local authority. You can check if you are on the electoral register at or at your local authority.

If you move to a new address you can change your address on the Electoral Register. You can do this online, or by completing a form and sending it to your local authority.

Changing your address on your motoring documents and policies

Driving licence: You do not have to change the address on your driving licence or learner permit, but it is advisable to do so. You must apply in person to one of the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) centres and provide documentary proof of the change of address.

Motor insurance: You must contact your motor insurance company or broker and let them know your new address so that your insurance policy can be updated. Where the vehicle is kept is one of the factors that affects your insurance premium. This is known as “risk address”. If you are a member of a breakdown service, you should change your address with them also.

Vehicle registration: Fill in the change of address section on your vehicle registration certificate and return it to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Computer Services Division, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shannon, Co. Clare. They will update your details and send you a new registration certificate.

Changing your address on home, health and life insurance policies

You will need to contact your insurance company about switching your house and contents insurance to your new home. Check if the contents of your home will be covered during the move. Many insurers will insure contents in transit, if they are packed and moved by professional movers. If not, most moving firms provide insurance.

If you have health insurance, life insurance or other insurance policies, these insurers will also need your new address details.

Changing your address with schools and colleges

If your children will remain in their current school, it will need your new address and contact details. If you have enrolled them in a new school, tell their current school when they will leave and ask it to transfer your children's records to the new school.

If any member of the household has applied for a college place or a student grant, they should record the new address on their application, even if you have arranged for your post to be redirected.

Changing your address with financial institutions

You will need to contact your credit union, credit card company, pension provider and any other financial institutions where you have accounts and provide your new address details.

Changing your address for taxation

You will need to notify Revenue about your change of address. You can change your address online by using Revenue’s online services, or sign in directly to myAccount. You can also contact Revenue for help over the phone. You will need your Personal Public Service Number for this.

Changing your address with your employer

Your employer will need your new contact details. This also applies if you are on an employment scheme. Even if you are paid electronically, you should notify the payroll section where you work.

Changing your address for social welfare payments

If you receive any social welfare payments, such as Child Benefit or Jobseeker's Benefit, you will need to contact your social welfare office or Intreo centre to let them know your new address. even if you are paid electronically. They will require proof of your new address, such as a utility bill or bank statement.

You will also have to update the details of any services, such as gas, electricity, or phone, for which you receive the Household Benefits Package.

Changing your address with health professionals

You will need to notify your change of address to your doctor, dentist, optician and any other health and wellbeing professionals that you attend. If you are moving to a new area and want to find new services, you can contact the Local Health Office for details of health professionals in your area. The Local Health Office can also provide a list of GPs in the area who participate in the medical card scheme or GP visit card scheme. If you are changing services, ask your current health professionals to transfer your records to the new ones.

Page edited: 5 September 2023