- What is MyGovID?
- Basic MyGovID account
- Verified MyGovID account
- How do I apply for a MyGovID account?
What is MyGovID?
To use some online public services, you need to create a MyGovID account. MyGovID verifies your identity and provides a single account you can use to access a range of public services.
There are two types of MyGovID account:
- Basic accounts
- Verified accounts
Basic MyGovID account
A basic account is a simple MyGovID account. You just need an email address to register for a basic account. You can access some Government services, like:
- Booking an appointment to get a PPS number
- Requesting a record of your PRSI contributions
- Checking if you are eligible for dental and optical services under the Treatment Benefit Scheme
- Applying for a jobseeker’s payment
- Applying for jobs on JobsIreland.ie
Verified MyGovID account
A verified account is a more secure type of MyGovID account that lets you access all services available on MyGovID. Every time you access your verified MyGovID account, you will be asked to enter a verification code that is sent to your mobile phone. This two-step authentication process makes your account more secure.
With a verified MyGovID you can:
- Apply for some social welfare payments, get social welfare statements, close your jobseekers claim
- Pay your Local Property Tax
- Access your PAYE account with Revenue
- Apply for or renew a driving licence or learner permit
- Book your driving test
- Apply for the National Childcare Scheme
- Apply for a student grant
- Register to vote
- Apply for a passport
You can read the full list of services available on the MyGovID website.
How do I apply for a MyGovID account?
To create your basic MyGovID account, visit the MyGovID sign-up page, enter your email address, create a password and click ‘Register now’. A code will be sent to your email address which you will need to enter on screen to complete your basic account registration.
Once you have activated your MyGovID account, you can log into your basic account. You will see a list of online services.
If you want to upgrade from a basic to a verified MyGovID account, you need:
- A Personal Public Service (PPS) number
- A Public Services Card (PSC)
- A verified phone that can receive text messages (explained below)
How do I get a PPS number and PSC?
You can make an appointment online on MyWelfare.ie to get your PPS number and PSC in your local Intreo office. You can do this using your basic MyGovID account. Alternatively, you can visit your local office directly.
How do I verify my phone for MyGovID?
Verifying your mobile phone is part of the process of getting a PSC. When you register for a MyGovID, a text will be sent to your phone to verify it.
If you don’t have a PSC, you can verify your phone on MyGovID by requesting to have a verification code sent to your home address. You can also verify your phone by bringing it to your local Intreo office with your PSC.