To use some online public services, you need to create a MyGovID account. MyGovID verifies your identity and provides a single account you can use to access a range of public services.
There are two types of MyGovID account:
- A basic account is a simple MyGovID account. You can access some services, such as requesting a statement of your PRSI contributions or checking your eligibility to benefits under the Treatment Benefit Scheme. You just need an email address to register for a basic account.
- A verified account is a more secure type of MyGovID account that lets you access all services available on MyGovID. Every time you access your verified MyGovID account, you will be asked to enter a verification code that is sent to your mobile phone. This two-step authentication process makes your account very secure.
How do I apply for a MyGovID account?
To create your basic MyGovID account, visit the MyGovID sign-up page, enter your email address, create a password and click ‘Register now’. A code will be sent to your email address which you will need to enter on screen to complete your basic account registration.
Once you have activated your MyGovID account, you can log into your basic account. You will see a list of online services.
If you want to upgrade from a basic to a verified MyGovID account, you need:
- A Personal Public Service (PPS) number
- A Public Services Card (PSC)
- A verified phone that can receive text messages (explained below)
How do I get a PPS number and PSC?
You can make an appointment online on MyWelfare.ie to get your PPS number and PSC in your local Intreo office. You can do this using your basic MyGovID account. Alternatively, you can visit your local office directly.
How do I verify my phone for MyGovID?
If you have a PSC, you can verify your phone on MyGovID by requesting to have a verification code sent to your home address. You can also verify your phone by bringing it to your local Intreo office with your PSC.
If you do not have a PSC, bring your phone with you when you visit your local Intreo office to apply for the card.