Redundancy payments


Where you lose your job because your employer is closing the business or reducing the number of staff, this is known as redundancy.

The Redundancy Payments Acts 1967–2014 provide a minimum entitlement to a redundancy payment for employees who have a set period of service with the employer - known as a statutory redundancy.

Not all employees are entitled to the statutory redundancy payment, even where a redundancy situation exists. If you do qualify for redundancy there are specific redundancy procedures which employers and employees must follow in order to comply with the legislation.

However, you and your employer may agree a redundancy payment above the statutory minimum. In these cases, employees who have not reached the statutory minimum period of service may also receive a payment. For example, statutory redundancy only applies to employees with two years' service. However, an employer might agree to pay a lump sum to employees with less than two years' service. This payment arises through agreement and not through a statutory entitlement. This legislation is concerned with ensuring minimum rights, while allowing the parties to agree more substantial rights.


The statutory redundancy payment is a lump-sum payment based on the employee's pay. All eligible employees are entitled to:

  • Two weeks' pay for every year of service they have since they were 16 and
  • One further week's pay

The amount of statutory redundancy is subject to a maximum earnings limit of €600 per week (€31,200 per year).

The statutory redundancy payment is tax-free.

Gross weekly pay

Pay refers to your current normal weekly pay including average regular overtime and benefits-in-kind, but before tax and PRSI deductions, that is your gross pay. If you are paid monthly, your normal monthly pay is divided by 4.33 to calculate the weekly pay.

Wages vary from week to week

Where you do not have regular hours or regular pay, an average of the last 52 weeks worked is used.


Average weekly overtime earnings are calculated as follows:

  • Overtime for the 13 weeks before the date of redundancy is excluded
  • Find the total amount of overtime earned in the previous period of 26 weeks (excluding the 13 weeks before the date of redundancy)
  • If there was any weeks in the 26 week period not worked then the 26 week period may be extended back for every week not worked
  • Divide the total by 26 to get the average weekly overtime

This average overtime is added to the normal weekly pay.

You can read more about how gross weekly pay is calculated on

Reckonable and non-reckonable service

All redundancies notified after 10 April 2005 take account of absences from work over the last 3 years of service. Any absences outside of this 3-year period which ends on the date of termination of employment are disregarded.
When calculating the actual length of your service for redundancy payment purposes, the following are regarded as reckonable service, (the absences listed here are called reckonable absences):

  • The period you were actually in work
  • Any absence from work due to holidays
  • Any absence from work due to illness (see below for non-reckonable periods of illness)
  • Any period where you were absent from work by agreement with your employer (typically career break)
  • Any period of basic and additional maternity leave allowed under the legislation
  • Any period of basic adoptive/paternity/parental/carer's leave
  • Any period of lock-out from your employment
  • Any period where the continuity of your employment is preserved under the Unfair Dismissals Acts.

However, in making the calculation of the length of your service, the following periods over the last 3 years will not be taken into account as service, (these are called non-reckonable absences):

  • Any period over 52 consecutive weeks where you were off work due to an injury at work
  • Any period over 26 consecutive weeks where you were off work due to illness
  • Any period on strike
  • Any period of lay off from work.

You can use this online redundancy calculator to help you to calculate your statutory redundancy entitlement. You should note that the online redundancy calculator does not give a legal entitlement to any statutory redundancy amount.

You can see examples of redundancy calculations on Example 4 covers reckonable absences included in the calculation and Example 5 covers non reckonable absences excluded from the calculation.

Reduced hours and short-time work

If you were made redundant within a year of being put on reduced hours or pay, your redundancy payment would be based on your earnings for a full week. If you are made redundant after working reduced hours for more than a year, how your payment will be calculated depends on whether you accepted being on reduced hours or not.

You fully accepted the reduced hours

If you fully accepted the reduced working hours as your normal week and never asked to return to full-time work, then your redundancy payment will be based on your gross pay for the reduced working hours.

You never accepted the reduced hours

If you never accepted the reduced working hours as your normal hours and continually asked to be put back on full-time working, your payment would be based on your normal weekly earnings.

If you have been put on short time and then are made redundant your redundancy payment may be based on your pay for a full week.

If you agreed to reduced hours temporarily due to COVID-19 and you were getting paid through the Employment Wage Subsidy Scheme (EWSS) or the Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme (TWSS), your lump sum redundancy payment should be calculated on your normal weekly pay.

If you have a dispute about this with your employer you could make a claim to the Workplace Relations Commission.

Taxation of lump sums

If you receive a lump sum in compensation for the loss of employment, part of it may be tax-free. The statutory redundancy lump sum is always tax-free. Read more about taxation of lump-sum payments on redundancy/retirement. There is more information about taxation and redundancy on the Revenue website.

Employer's insolvency

In the first instance it is up to the employer to pay the statutory redundancy lump sum to all eligible employees. However, where the employer is unable to pay or refuses or fails to pay, the employee can apply for direct payment from the Social Insurance Fund - see 'How to apply' below.

Where your employment has ended due to the insolvency of your employer, the payment of certain outstanding entitlements in relation to your pay is protected by law. Under the Insolvency Payments Scheme these may be paid by the Department of Social Protection out of the Social Insurance Fund. There are more details about employers' insolvency legislation in 'Further information' below.

Minimum wage

If you were earning less than the minimum wage you may be entitled to payment based on the minimum wage. There are exceptions for any period you were in a statutory apprenticeship or under 20 years of age.


The maximum earnings taken into account in the calculation of statutory redundancy lump sum payments are €600 per week (€31,200 per year).

You can see examples of redundancy calculations on

How to apply

On the date of the termination of employment your employer should pay the redundancy lump sum due to you.

If your employer has not paid your redundancy lump sum, you should apply to your employer for it using form RP77 (pdf).

If your employer is unable to pay your redundancy lump sum, they should follow the steps below:

  1. Log on to the new Welfare Partners service. To access the service, the employer will need a Department of Social Protection Sub-Cert from Revenue (pdf).
  2. Complete and submit an online application form (previously the RP50 form)
  3. Download the completed Employee Declaration Form and send it to the employee by either email or post.
  4. Upload confirmation from the employee that the Employee Declaration Form is correct. This should be a physical or digital signature or an email from the employee confirming the information is correct.
  5. Upload the ‘Required’ documents and ‘Optional’ documents.
  6. Review the declaration in the ‘Application summary’ and ‘Submit application’.

Employers can get detailed information on how to access Welfare Partners and use this service in the Employers Guide (pdf).

Insolvency: If the company has been liquidated or is in receivership, the liquidator or receiver should complete and submit an online application on behalf of the employees. They do this using the new Welfare Partners service. There is detailed information on how to access Welfare Partners and use this service in the Employer Representative Guide (pdf).

If your employer refuses to pay your redundancy lump sum or if there is a dispute about redundancy you can bring a claim to the Workplace Relations Commission.

You must complete the following steps:

  1. Complete and submit the online complaint form available on This must be done within one year of your dismissal.
  2. If the WRC has made an award, apply to the DSP for your lump sum. Email to request an application form (RP50).
  3. Complete the RP50 form and sign it.
  4. Send the signed RP50 form to the Redundancy and Insolvency Section of the DSP along with a copy of the Workplace Relations Commission decision. (Claims accompanied by a Workplace decision must be submitted within 52 weeks of a decision being made).
For further information about the Redundancy Payments Scheme contact the Workplace Relations Commission's Information and Customer Services. For information on the status of a claim for a redundancy lump sum or rebate which has been submitted for payment you can contact the Redundancy Payments section directly - see 'Where to apply below'.

Where to apply

The application for payment from the Social Insurance Fund should be sent to:

Redundancy Payments Section

Department of Social Protection

Ground Floor
Gandon House
Amiens Street
Dublin 1
D01 A361

Tel: (01) 673 4500 (If calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call + 353 1 673 4500)
Locall: 0818 800 699 (Note: the rates charged for using 0818 (Lo-call) numbers may vary)

For further information about the Redundancy Payments Scheme contact:

Workplace Relations Commission - Information and Customer Service

O'Brien Road
R93 E920

Opening Hours: Mon. to Fri. 9.30am to 1pm, 2pm to 5pm
Tel: (059) 917 8990
Locall: 1890 80 80 90

Further information

Employers' insolvency legislation

The Protection of Employees (Employers' Insolvency) Acts 1984–2012 protect certain outstanding entitlements relating to the pay of employees in the event of their employers becoming insolvent as defined in the Acts.

Subject to certain limits and conditions (including statutory time limits), money due to employees in a range of situations may be paid by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection out of the Social Insurance Fund. The Department may pay from this fund where money due as a result of:

  • Arrears of pay (including arrears of pay due under an Employment Regulation Order)
  • Holiday and sick pay
  • Entitlements under the minimum notice and terms of employment, employment equality and unfair dismissals legislation
  • Court orders in respect of wages, holiday pay or damages at common law for wrongful dismissal.

The Insolvency Payments Scheme also protects employees' outstanding contributions to occupational pension schemes which an employer may have deducted from wages but not paid into the schemes. Unpaid contributions to an occupational pension scheme on an employer's own account may also be paid from the Fund, subject to certain limits. The Scheme applies to outstanding pension contributions for up to a year before the date of insolvency.

The Scheme covers employees who are over 16 years of age and are in employment which is insurable for all benefits under the Social Welfare Acts and includes those over 66 years of age who are in employment which, but for their age, would be insurable for all benefits under the Social Welfare Acts.

Employees should claim from the employer representative (usually the liquidator or receiver) for payment of outstanding entitlements. The employer representative can claim an insolvency payment online.

Disputes regarding most entitlements under the Acts may be referred to the Workplace Relations Commission. You must use the online complaint form available on

Implementation of Directive 2002/74/EC

The European Communities (Protection of Employees (Employers' Insolvency) Regulations SI 630/2005 amend the Protection of Employees (Employers' Insolvency) Act 1984 by including a provision to cover employees who are employed by an employer who has become insolvent under the laws, regulations and administrative procedures of another member state. The Regulations apply to insolvencies occurring from 8 October 2005.

Page edited: 6 July 2021