The State Examinations Commission
What is the State Examinations Commission?
The State Examinations Commission (SEC) oversees Junior Cycle and Leaving Certificate exams in post-primary school.
It is responsible for the development, assessment, accreditation and certification of the State certificate examinations.
It works with school authorities and education providers to run examinations and assessments in a fair, accountable and accessible way.
It also organises certain trade and professional examinations.
State Examination Commission and State exams
The State Examinations Commission (SEC) runs the examinations for the:
- Established Leaving Certificate
- Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme
- Leaving Certificate Applied
- Junior Cycle
This includes written, oral, aural and practical components and assessed course work in some subjects.
The State Examination Commission:
- Prepares examination papers and other examination material.
- Decides how State examinations are conducted and chooses suitable venues to hold exams.
- Holds an archive of past examination papers on its website.
- Decides the procedures for the conduct and supervision of examinations and arranges to have the examinations marked.
- Recruits contract staff to supervise the examinations and to draft and mark examination components.
- Takes responsibility for charging and collecting fees for examinations.
- Administers the reasonable accommodations scheme for students with special needs to sit State exams.
The SEC issues the results of all State examinations. It also holds the records of all State examination results.
You can apply for a certified copy of your results – see 'How to apply' below.
The SEC decides how candidates can request a review and appeal their examination results. You can appeal the results of a State examination to the SEC.
You pay for appeal applications on the candidate self-service portal.
The SEC provides online services such as :
- Candidate Self Service Portal where candidates can see their results, view marks, apply to view and view scripts
- Online Appeals Payment Service
- Online External Candidate Application Service
These services are not intended to replace the service and advice provided by schools but are intended as an alternative service for candidates who cannot avail of the results service offered by their schools.
Fee for a statement of results
There is a charge of €14.50 for each certified copy of results.
How to apply for a statement of exam results
You can apply for a certified copy of your Leaving Certificate results online on the State Examinations Commission website.
The Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement (JCPA) replaced the Junior Certificate in 2017.
For a statement of results for the JCPA, you should contact your school directly. If the school is unable to help, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org providing your candidate number, PPSN and date of birth.
For a statement of results for Junior Certificate, Intermediate Certificate and Group Certificate up to 2016, you can order a statement of results online.