International Driving Permit
What is an International Driving Permit?
An international driving permit is a translation of your driving licence that allows you to drive in countries outside of the EU/EEA. You should carry your driving licence with it when driving. It is valid for one year. You apply to the AA for an international driving permit.
There are two types of international driving permit issued in Ireland:
- A 1949 Convention International Driving Permit, which is the most commonly issued driving permit and is recognised in most countries.
- A 1926 Convention International Driving Permit, which is required for the following countries - Brazil, Burundi, Iraq, Nigeria and Somalia.
Where can I use my International Driving Permit?
Many other countries that are not signatories to the 1949 convention recognise the international driving permit and accept it. You should contact your embassy or consulate in advance of travelling to confirm if it is recognized by them.
Who can apply
It is available to Irish residents, who have a current full Irish driving licence and to all EU/EEA licence holders who are resident in Ireland.
You cannot get an international driving permit in Ireland if:
- You have not passed your driving test and have a learner permit
- Your driving licence is due to expire within 6 months
You should always carry your own driving permit (even if you have an international driving permit) when travelling abroad. You may need to produce this licence for inspection, for example, when hiring a car abroad.
How much does it cost
An international driving permit (valid for 1 year) costs €15 for express service (3-5 working days). (Includes a €5 admin/postal delivery charge per permit).
How to applyYou can download an application form for an international driving permit. A copy of the form is also available from AA Travel Services. You use the same form if you are renewing your permit.
Your application must be include the following:
- A copy of your current valid Irish driving licence (front and back)
- A passport sized photograph signed on the back
- The fee of €15.00 payable by cheque/postal order to the AA or by credit or debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay
- A copy of a household bill dated in the last 3 months (If applying with a non-Irish driving licence)
More information on international driving permits is available on the AA website.