Change of vehicle ownership


If you sell your vehicle or trade it in for a new model, you must by law register the change of ownership. You register with the Department of Transport.

A record is kept called the national vehicle and driver file (NVDF). It is important that the ownership and address details are up to date at all times and that changes are notified quickly. If for example, a vehicle is subject to a safety recall, manufacturers will contact all registered owners from this list.

This page tells you how to change a vehicles ownership details on a Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC).

Rules on changing vehicle ownership

If you sell a vehicle privately

If you sell your vehicle privately, you must complete and sign the change of ownership section on the back of the Vehicle Registration certificate (VRC). The buyer must sign the same form. The seller is responsible and must send the completed form to the Department of Transport for updating (see the ‘Where to apply’ section below). The Department of Transport will post the VRC to the new owner.

If you sell your vehicle to a motor dealer

If you sell your vehicle to a motor dealer, you must give the dealer the Vehicle Registration Certificate. Both the seller and the dealer must complete the Form RF105 (pdf). An approved dealer can use the online change of vehicle ownership service to notify the details online. Otherwise, the seller must send the RF105 to the Department of Transport.

Current owner deceased

If you buy a vehicle and the current owner (seller) is deceased, a letter from the executor of the deceased's will, or the solicitor dealing with the will, indicating your right to the vehicle should go with the Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC). Where the VRC is not available or cannot be produced, an administrative process allows the acceptance of a declaration of ownership change in the form of a statutory declaration sworn before a Commissioner for Oaths or a practicing solicitor. The statutory declaration form, which is available from the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, should go with the letter from the executor of the will or the solicitor mentioned above.

Older vehicles

Pre-1993 vehicles

See change of ownership for vehicles registered before January 1993.

1993 – 2004 vehicles

Owners of vehicles registered before May 2004 may still have a ‘Vehicle Licensing Certificate’ if they haven’t changed ownership. In such cases, a Vehicle Registration Certificate will be issued to the new owner upon change of ownership. You can get more information from

Motor tax

You cannot tax your vehicle until the registration of the change of ownership has gone through. You can renew motor tax online or by completing a Form RF100A. See our page on motor tax.

Changing address details

If your address has changed, fill in the appropriate details on the Vehicle Registration Certificate and send it to the Department of Transport.

Replacing lost documents

It is possible to get replacement documents associated with changes to vehicle ownership. List of documents and the cost of their replacement is as follows:

Replacement documents


Replacement cost

Registration book €12
Vehicle licensing certificate/Registration Certificate €12
Tax disc €6

To get replacement documents, download and complete form RF134 (pdf). You must have this form witnessed by a member of the Garda Síochána at a Garda station. Forward your completed form with the appropriate fee to your Motor Tax Office. You can pay by cheque, postal order or by bank draft. You should make it payable to your local Motor Tax Office.

Rates for change of ownership

There is no charge for registering Change of Ownership details at Motor Taxation Offices or at the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division.

Where to apply

Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division

Department of Transport

Shannon Town Centre

Tel: 0818 411 412
Page edited: 14 November 2022