The European Health Insurance Card

What is the European Health Insurance Card?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access public healthcare in another EU/EEA state for free or at a reduced rate. You can use it when you are travelling abroad or when you are staying temporarily in another EU State.

Essential points about the card

  • Each family member needs their own card.
  • It lasts for up to 4 years.
  • You will need to apply to renew your card and you can renew online.
  • When abroad, always carry your EHIC with you.
  • It will not cover you for healthcare outside of the EU, other than Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein (EEA) and Switzerland.
  • It does not cover private healthcare.
  • It used to be called the E111 form.

You can apply:

  • In person: at any local health office except, Cork South Lee, Dublin North West, Dublin South, Kildare and West Wicklow.
  • By post: Print out an application form and post it to your local health office along with any documents required.
  • Online: Apply through the HSE website if you have a medical card or drug payment scheme card and you live in Ireland.

Can I get a European Health Insurance Card?

You can only apply for a European Health Insurance Card:

  • If you live in Ireland
  • If you live in another European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) member state, or Switzerland

If you live in Ireland but you are linked to another EU/EEA State's Social Security System, contact the health authorities in that country for more information.

If you live in Northern Ireland but are employed in Ireland, you can get an Irish-issued EHIC.

Frontier workers (or cross-border workers) can get an Irish-issued EHIC because they make social security contributions in Ireland. They must return home at least once a week to qualify.

Student dependants of frontier workers can get an Irish-issued EHIC. They must be aged 18 to 23 years, studying in the EU/EEA or Switzerland and have a completed School or College Details form (pdf).

If you live in another EU/EEA member state or Switzerland

If you live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you are entitled to an Irish-issued EHIC if any of the following apply.

  • You receive a state pension from Ireland and have an Irish-issued E Form/S1 form (certificate of entitlement) registered in your country of residence.
  • You work for an Irish employer and are posted to work in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland.
  • You are a frontier worker (cross-border worker) living in the EU/EEA and working in Ireland.
  • You are a family member of a posted worker of someone working in Ireland, and you are not covered in your own right by the EU/EEA country you live in.

If you are resident in another EU/EEA member state, you will need to complete a different application form online, by email or by post.

If you are not eligible for an Irish-issued EHIC, you should see if you are eligible for an EHIC in the country you are currently living in.

Where can I use it?

EU and Europe

You can use your European Health Insurance Card in any European Union or European Economic Area (EEA) country and in Switzerland. Currently, the EEA comprises of the 27 member states of the European Union together with Iceland, Norway, and Liechtenstein.

As Andorra and Monaco are not part of the EU or EEA, your EHIC is not accepted there. You should get private health insurance instead.

Find out where you can use your EHIC and how to access healthcare abroad.


If you are an Irish citizen, you have access to healthcare under the Common Travel Area while visiting the UK. However, other EU citizens should continue to use the EHIC, which is still accepted in the UK.

Outside the EU

If you are travelling outside the EU/EEA, you should get private health insurance instead.

What does it cover?

What it covers What it does not cover
Free or reduced cost public healthcare in any of the EU and EEA countries Private healthcare
A temporary stay of up to 3 months The cost to fly you back to Ireland
Pre-existing medical conditions Ongoing or permanent healthcare
Routine maternity care – if you’re not going there to give birth Medical expenses if your reason for going abroad is to have treatment
If you’re a student studying abroad, you’ll be covered for up to an academic year.  

Will I have to pay anything for healthcare with my EHIC?

In some EU member states you may have to make some payment towards the cost of the services you receive, just as people in that state do. You will not receive a re-fund for this or for private healthcare.

How can I get a refund from the HSE if I paid for healthcare while abroad?

You may be able to get a refund if you had to pay because you did not have your EHIC card with you or because the healthcare providers charged you by mistake.

Apply for a refund by email. Send your receipts to Or email them to if you live in Dublin, Wicklow or Kildare.

The HSE will send an E126 form to the health authorities in the other state to find out:

  • If you used a public health service
  • How much of a refund is due

When the HSE receive the completed E126 form from the other state, the HSE can see if a refund is due or not. Further information is available on the HSE website.

What if I don't have my EHIC before I travel?

If you don't have your European Health Insurance Card for any reason, you can get a Temporary Replacement Certificate. This Certificate gives you the same entitlement as the Card, but for a shorter period.

You can apply online for this Certificate, in-person or by post to your Local Health Office. You can only receive a Temporary Replacement Certificate for yourself.

Should I get private travel insurance too?

You should consider it. Your EHIC just covers medical costs. Travel insurance can cover you for cancellation and lost or stolen luggage and extras like winter sports cover.

How much does a European Health Insurance Card cost?

There is no fee for the European Health Insurance Card or a Temporary Replacement Certificate. Renewing a European Health Insurance Card is also free.

How to apply

Before you travel, apply for an EHIC well in advance of your trip.

If you are living in Ireland

  • If you are an Irish citizen, an Irish pensioner or an EU citizen living in Ireland you can apply for an EHIC:
  • In person at your local health office
  • By post
  • Online - if you have a medical card or drug payment scheme card and you live in Ireland

You will be asked for proof that you live in Ireland. Your card will be posted out to you within approximately 10 working days.

Apply by post

There are two steps:

  1. Download and complete the European Health Insurance Card application form (pdf).
  2. Send the completed form to your Local Health Office. If you can’t download the form, you can get an application from your Local Health Office. You should send your application well in advance of your trip.

How do I renew my card?

You must apply to renew your Card as they are not reissued automatically when they expire. You will need your old EHIC number and your PPS number.

If you have changed your address or your name, you will need to contact your Local Health Office. You should apply well in advance of the date you plan to travel.

Apply to renew your European Health Insurance Card online.

  1. Select Renew Current Card at the top of the screen.
  2. Enter the 10-digit ID number on your expired Card. This number is on the front of the card at the bottom left.
  3. Confirm the address to which the Card will be sent. It should confirm that your application is successful and that a card is being sent out to you.

If you are visiting Ireland and need health care

If you have an EHIC and are visiting Ireland, you can:

  • Receive necessary family doctor (GP) services
  • Receive emergency dental treatment for the relief of pain and urgent dental repairs

You can call the emergency services on 999 or 112 free of charge.

Go to the HSE website for more information.

Page edited: 30 May 2023