Supplementary Welfare Allowance


Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance is a weekly allowance paid to people who do not have enough income to meet their needs and those of their families.

Budget 2022

From January 2022, the maximum weekly rate of Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) will increase by €5 with proportional increases for qualified adults. People aged 25 and under who are getting a reduced rate of SWA will get the full €5 increase.

The weekly rate for a qualified child will also increase by €2 from €38 to €40 for children under 12 years of age. It will increase by €3 from €45 to €48 for children aged 12 years and over.


If you have no income, you may be entitled to the basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA). If your weekly income is below the Supplementary Welfare Allowance rate for your family size, a payment may be made to bring your income up to the appropriate Supplementary Welfare Allowance rate.

If you have claimed a social welfare benefit or pension but it has not yet been paid and you have no other income, you may qualify for basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance while you are waiting for your payment. However, the amount paid while you are waiting will be deducted from the arrears of your social welfare payment.

If you have returned to work, you can claim the basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance for up to 30 days while you are waiting for your wages.

Supplementary Welfare Allowance is not a taxable source of income.


You will normally qualify for Supplementary Welfare Allowance if you satisfy the following conditions:

  • You are living in the State.
  • You satisfy the means test.
  • You have applied for any other benefit or allowance you may be entitled to.
  • You have registered for work with your local Intreo Centre if you are of working age.
  • You satisfy the habitual residence condition.
  • EU/EEA and Swiss migrant workers who have been working in Ireland can access basic SWA and supplements without having habitual residence assessed, provided they have the right to reside in Ireland. However, people from the EU/EEA or Switzerland who move to Ireland in search of employment are subject to the habitual residence test in the normal way while looking for work.

You will not normally qualify for basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance if you are:

  • In full-time work, that is, working for 30 hours or more per week*.
  • In full-time education.
  • Involved in a trade dispute. However, you may claim Supplementary Welfare Allowance for your dependants.

* This condition does not apply to your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant. However, any income they have from work is taken into account in the means test.

Means test

The main items taken into account for the means test include:

All cash income

Most social welfare and Health Service Executive payments are taken into account.

Generally, all financial compensation is taken into account. However,certain types of compensation are not assessed as income. You can find a list of compensation payments not assessed as income.

The following payments are not taken into account:

The value of any benefit or privilege: If you are 24 years of age or under and you are living with a parent or a step-parent in the family home, some of your parents' income will also be taken into account in the assessment for Supplementary Welfare Allowance. The Department of Social Protection calls this an assessment of the 'benefit and privilege' you get from living with your parents.

The value of investments, savings or property (but not the value of your own home) is calculated as follows:

Capital Weekly means assessed
First €5,000 not taken into account
Next €10,000 €1 per €1,000
Next €25,000 €2 per €1,000
Balance €4 per €1,000

If you are married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting, the total income of the couple is added together in the means test.


The basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance is made up of a personal rate for the applicant and additional amounts for any adult dependant and/or child dependant(s). A child dependant is a person under the age of 18 who lives with you and depends on you for financial support. If you have been getting SWA for at least 26 weeks, the age limit is 22 for a child dependant in full-time education or up to the end of the academic year after their 22nd birthday.

Supplementary Welfare Allowance rates 2021

Age Maximum personal rate Increase for an adult dependant Increase for a child dependant

From 4 January 2021

Aged 25 and over €201 €134.70 €38 for a child aged under 12

€45 for a child aged 12 or over

Aged 18-24 and living independently* €201 €134.70
Aged 18-24 and not living independently €112.70 €112.70 People aged 18-24 with children qualify for the maximum personal rate of €201

*Supplementary Welfare Allowance for people aged under 25 is €201, only if the person is living independently and getting a state housing support such as Rent Supplement, Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) or Housing Assistance Payment (HAP).

Reduced rates of Supplementary Welfare Allowance for people under 25 years of age do not apply to:

  • People with dependent children
  • People aged 18-24 who were in the care of the Child and Family Agency (Tusla) for any period during the 12 months before reaching 18 years of age

How to apply

If your employment (or self-employment) has been affected by the coronavirus pandemic, or if you are sick or caring for someone who is sick, read our document on COVID-19 (coronavirus) and social welfare payments.

You should apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection's Community Welfare Service at your local office as soon as the need arises. You must fill in a Supplementary Welfare Allowance claim form (pdf) . To help process your claim, you should have the following:

  • Personal Public Service (PPS) numbers for yourself, your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant and your children
  • Proof of residency
  • Proof of identity, for example, a Public Services Card (if you have one), a passport, driving licence, work permit, Irish Residence Permit or (GNIB card), etc.
  • Evidence of any household income
  • Birth certificates for any children you include in your application
  • Documents to show your income and financial situation, such as, pay slips, tax statements, bank statements, etc.

Appealing a decision

You have the right to appeal against a decision if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your claim. You can appeal to the independent Social Welfare Appeals Office. The Social Welfare Appeals Office deals with appeals relating to basic SWA and SWA supplements.

Where to apply

You should contact the Department of Social Protection's Community Welfare Service at your local office.

During COVID-19 restrictions, the Department has reduced public opening hours for Intreo centres. You can contact your local office administering SWA by email or phone.

Page edited: 13 October 2021