Carer's Support Grant
- What is the Carer's Support Grant?
- Rules for getting the Carer's Support Grant
- Rate of Carer's Support Grant
- How to apply
- When to apply
- Where to apply
What is the Carer's Support Grant?
The Carer’s Support Grant is paid to carers once a year by the Department of Social Protection (DSP). It used to be called the Respite Care Grant.
You can use the grant in whatever way you like. You can use it to pay for respite care if you wish, but you do not have to. There is information on our website about respite care facilities.
In June of each year (usually on the first Thursday of the month), the DSP pays the grant automatically to carers getting Carer's Allowance, Carer's Benefit, or Domiciliary Care Allowance. Only one Carer’s Support Grant can be paid for each person getting care.
The Carer’s Support Grant will be paid on 2 June 2022.
Rules for getting the Carer's Support Grant
The grant is paid automatically to people getting Carer’s Allowance (both full rate and half-rate), Carer’s Benefit or Domiciliary Care Allowance. If you are not getting one of these payments, you can still qualify for the Carer’s Support Grant.
To get the Carer’s Support Grant, you must be:
- Aged 16 or over
- Ordinarily resident in Ireland
- Caring for the person on a full-time basis
- Caring for the person for at least 6 months - this period must include the first Thursday in June
- Living with the person being cared for (or if you do not live with them you must meet certain criteria, for example the person must be able to contact you quickly and directly)
During this 6 month caring period, you cannot:
- Work more than 18.5 hours per week as an employee or self-employment
- Take part in an education or training course for more than 18.5 hours a week
- Get Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit
- Sign on for credited contributions
- Live in a hospital, convalescent home or similar institution
If you are caring for more than one person, a grant is paid for each of them.
Rate of Carer's Support Grant
In June 2023, the Carer's Support Grant is €1,850.
It is paid once a year for each person you are caring for. It will be paid on 1 June 2023.
It is not taxable.
How to apply
If you are getting Carer's Allowance, Carer's Benefit or Domiciliary Care Allowance, you do not need to apply for the Carer's Support Grant. It will be paid automatically paid to you in June.
If you are not getting one of the above payments, you should fill in an application form CSG 1 (pdf) for each person you are caring for.
When to apply
You can apply for a Carer's Support Grant for any given year from April of that year until 31 December of the following year.
You can apply for the Carer's Support Grant for 2022 at any time from April 2022 up until 31 December 2023. The grant rate for 2022 was €1,850.
Where to apply
You can get a Carer's Support Grant application form from your Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office or Citizens Information Centre.