Carer's Support Grant
The Carer's Support Grant is an annual payment made to carers by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP). The scheme name was changed from the Respite Care Grant in 2016 to better reflect how the Grant is used. Carers can use the grant in whatever way they wish. You can use the grant to pay for respite care if you wish, but you do not have to do so. More information about respite care facilities is available.
In June of each year (usually on the first Thursday of the month), the DEASP pays the grant automatically to carers getting Carer's Allowance, Carer's Benefit, or Domiciliary Care Allowance from the Department. Only one Carer's Support Grant can be paid for each person getting care.
The grant is paid automatically to people getting Carer's Allowance (whether full-rate or half-rate), Carer's Benefit or Domiciliary Care Allowance.
It can also be paid to certain other carers. To qualify, you must be:
- Aged 16 or over
- Ordinarily resident in the State
- Caring for the person on a full-time basis
- Caring for the person for at least 6 months - this period must include the first Thursday in June
- Living with the person being cared for or, if not, be contactable quickly by a direct system of communication (for example, telephone or alarm).
You do not qualify if you are:
- Working more than 15 hours per week outside the home
- Taking part in an education or training course for more than 15 hours a week
- Getting Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit
- Signing on for credited
- Living in a hospital, convalescent home or similar institution
If you are caring for more than one person, a grant is paid for each of them.
A Carer's Support Grant of €1,700 (June 2019) is paid once each year, usually on the first Thursday in June, for each person you are caring for. It is not taxable.
How to apply
If you are getting Carer's Allowance, Carer's Benefit or Domiciliary Care Allowance, you do not need to apply for the Carer's Support Grant. It will be automatically paid to you in June.
If you are not getting one of the above payments, you should fill in an application form CSG 1 (pdf) in respect of each person you are caring for.
If you were not getting one of the above payments but got the Carer's Support Grant last year, you do not need to re-apply this year. The Department will send you a letter and a short 2-page questionnaire in April. You must return the completed questionnaire as it will be used to assess you for the Carer's Support Grant this year.
When to apply
You can apply for a Carer's Support Grant for any given year from April of that year until 31 December of the following year. So, for example, you can apply for a grant for 2019 at any time from April 2019 up until 31 December 2020.