Diplomatic supports for Irish people abroad


The Department of Foreign Affairs offers consular assistance to Irish citizens abroad. If you need help while you are abroad, you can contact the Irish embassy or consulate in that country.

If you are in a country where there is no embassy or consulate, you can contact embassies or consulates of other European Union countries for assistance.

Help available

Embassies and consulates can be of assistance if:

There is a limit to the services the embassy or consulate can provide. For example, if you have been ill or in an accident, they can:

  • Contact your family or friends in Ireland
  • Help you find English-speaking doctors, translators, and medical services
  • Liaise with local medical services on your behalf
  • Transfer funds from family and friends to you.

However, they cannot:

  • Offer medical advice
  • Pay medical bills or other medical expenses.

During COVID-19, there is additional support from DFA available to Irish citizens stranded abroad.

Further information about the range of services relating to the consular protection of Irish citizens is available from the Consular Section of the Department of Foreign Affairs – see 'Where to apply' below. You can also follow the official Twitter account of your local embassy or consulate for regular updates.

Where to apply

Department of Foreign Affairs

Consular Assistance
Tel: +353 1 408 2000
Page edited: 13 November 2020