Coming to Ireland from Ukraine


This page has information for people who have family in Ukraine, or for people in Ukraine who plan to travel to Ireland or have recently arrived here.

The immigration officer in the airport (or port) will arrange for you to be taken to Citywest Convention Centre. You will get your Temporary Protection documentation in Citywest.

If you are already in Ireland, you can get help at a Ukraine Support Centre. These centres are currently in Dublin, Limerick and Cork. They can help you to apply for social welfare (financial help).

We will add more information to this page as it becomes available.

You can also read about supports for Ukrainians in Ireland and social welfare supports for Ukrainian refugees.

You can use Google Translate to read this page in Ukrainian or another language (please note that this uses machine translation and may not be a fully accurate translation of the page).


Citizens of Ukraine do not need a visa to travel to Ireland. You also do not need proof that you have a COVID-19 vaccine, and you do not need to take a COVID-19 test before you arrive.

If you do not have a current passport, you can use another form of identification to travel to Ireland (for example, national ID card, expired passport or birth certificate). The Irish Government has asked airlines to accept these documents.

If you are travelling with family members who are not Ukrainian citizens, they may need a visa to come to Ireland.

You can read frequently asked questions from the Irish immigration authority, called Immigration Service Delivery (ISD), for visa and immigration information.

The Irish Refugee Council also has information on coming to Ireland in Ukrainian.

Immigration and international protection

When you arrive in Ireland, you should speak to an immigration officer (at Passport Control). If you arrive at Dublin Airport, you will be brought to the reception hub at City West Convention Centre in Dublin. You may have to wait at the airport for some time before you are transferred to accommodation.

You should give your details to staff there so they can arrange somewhere to stay for you. They will give you a letter confirming that you have Temporary Protection under the Temporary Protection Directive.

I have not received a temporary protection permission letter

If you did not get a permission letter at the reception hub when you arrived in Ireland, you can get it at the Citywest Convention Centre in Dublin, or the Ukraine Support Centre in:

  • Hanover Street, Cork
  • Dominick Street, Limerick

See ‘Ukraine Support Centres’ below.

Registration and Irish Residence Permits

Usually, all citizens from outside the EU/EEA who are 16 or over must register and get an Irish Residence Permit. You do not have to register and apply for an Irish Residence Permit for now, but you may have to later. The Irish immigration authorities have frequently asked questions for Ukrainians in Ireland.

Ukraine Support Centres

You can get information and help at a Ukraine Support Centre. The centres are currently available in Cork, Limerick and Dublin.

  • Dublin: Dublin 8 Intreo Centre, Guild Building, Cork Street, Dublin 8, D08 XH90
  • Cork: Cork City PSC and PPSN Centre, Department of Social Protection, Hanover Street, Cork, T12 PX62
  • Limerick: Dominick Street, Limerick, V94 X327

At a centre, you can get information about social welfare and immigration. If you did not receive your temporary permission letter when you entered Ireland, you can get this letter at the Ukraine Support Centre.

People from the Citizens Information Service are available in the Ukraine Support Centres in Cork and Limerick. Information is available in Ukrainian.

You can get information on opening hours on

Social welfare

When you arrive in Ireland you can apply to the Department of Social Protection for income support. This is a weekly social welfare payment for you and any dependents (for example, children) you may have.

To get any Irish social welfare payment you need a Personal Public Service Number (PPS number). If you arrive at Dublin Airport, you will be brought to the City West Convention Centre in Dublin. You can apply for your PPS number there and get the forms you need to apply for income support.

If you did not arrive through Dublin Airport or you are in Ireland already, you should go to a Ukraine Support Centre if you are in Cork, Dublin or Limerick, or your local Intreo centre or DSP branch office, to apply for a PPS number.

You can find out more about getting income support in our page on social welfare supports for Ukrainian refugees.

Accommodation and housing

You should tell immigration officials that you need a place to stay when you arrive in Ireland and they will refer you to the Government’s Ukraine Crisis Temporary Accommodation Team (UCTAT).

UCTAT accommodation is free of charge and includes different types of accommodation. For example, you may be accommodated in a hotel, guest house or another type of State-owned or private accommodation including property pledged by members of the public. The type of accommodation you will be offered depends on what is available at that time. You may have to stay in a community centre, sports ground or in tented accommodation for a period.

If you refuse 2 offers of accommodation, you will not get any more offers. You can read frequently asked questions about IPAS accommodation (pdf) in Ukrainian (pdf) and Russian (pdf).

One short-term absence from IPAS accommodation of up to 7 days (over a 6-month period), may be allowed in exceptional circumstances. Absence requests are decided on a case-by-case basis. You can read more about absences from short-term IPAS accommodation.

If you arrive in Ireland at a port or airport that does not process applications for temporary protection, you can get accommodation for up to 2 nights, if it is available. You should apply for temporary protection during this time.

If you don’t need a place to stay immediately (because you are staying with family or friends), you can ask for this help at any time later on.

If you need accommodation and you are already in Ireland, you can email You may have to wait until accommodation is available.

Include the following information in your email:

  • The full name of anyone who needs accommodation
  • Dates of birth
  • Phone number
  • Where you are now (the full address if you have one)
  • When you need the accommodation (for example, from tonight)
  • Medical conditions, disabilities, allergies and dietary requirements

If you are staying in student accommodation

When colleges reopen in the coming weeks, you must move to another accommodation. Mid West Simon is the organisation that is managing your move. They will contact you soon. You could be moved somewhere else in the country, and your new accommodation may only be for a short period before you are moved again.

Pledging accommodation

If you have vacant property or a spare room in your home, you can offer it to help accommodate a refugee. The Irish Red Cross will match the accommodation you offer with someone who has just arrived in Ireland. See 'I want to help' below or find out how to pledge accommodation on the Irish Red Cross’s website.

Payment for people providing accommodation

If you are providing accommodation to refugees from Ukraine, you can apply for a monthly Accommodation Recognition Payment (ARP) of €400 per property. You must commit to providing accommodation for at least 6 months.

Healthcare and medical cards

Health services in Ireland are delivered by Ireland’s public healthcare service - the Health Service Executive (HSE). You can get the same public healthcare services as people who live in Ireland.

Everyone coming to Ireland under the Temporary Protection Directive can apply for a medical card with a simplified application process. A medical card allows you to visit a doctor for free, access other health services and get medicines at a reduced price. Children aged over 16 must apply for a medical card separately.

You should apply for your medical card using a special medical card application form (pdf) for people from Ukraine. The medical card application form is also available in Ukranian (pdf) and Russian (pdf). You can email your completed form to or by post to the address on the form.

You need:

  • Your name, current address and date of birth.
  • Your Personal Public Service (PPS) number (see above).
  • Your doctor’s (GP’s) address, stamp and signature. If you do not know any GPs, one will be assigned to you and your family.

You can get information about health care services in Ireland from the HSE website. You can also read about the Irish health system in Ukrainian (pdf) and in Russian (pdf).

Vaccinations in Ireland

Vaccinations help to protect you and your children against preventable infectious diseases. Many vaccinations are free in Ireland. You can read information about the vaccines available from the HSE for you and your children in Ukrainian, Russian and English.

Working in Ireland

You have the right to work in Ireland when you have your permission letter confirming that you have been granted Temporary Protection under the EU Directive. You can also work for yourself (self-employment) and you can access vocational training in Ireland.

Help finding work

Anyone on Jobseekers Allowance must be available for and looking for full-time work. You can work part-time but you should keep looking for full-time work.

You can get help finding work from the Intreo employment services.

You can:

  • Talk to an Employment Support Officer at your local Intreo centre or branch office
  • Go to an employment support event being organised near you for Ukrainians. You should get an invite, but you can attend without one.
  • Find vacancies and apply for jobs using the online jobs website – information is available in Ukrainian and Russian

Your income support when you start working

You can work and get Jobseekers Allowance. However, you can only work a certain number of days and your income must be under a certain amount.

Check how working part time could affect your income support payment using the on-line calculator.

When you start working part time or full time you must contact your local Intreo Office to tell them that your circumstances have changed.

The Department of Social Protection has more information on working in Ireland in Ukrainian and Russian.

Your employment rights

Read more about your employment rights when coming to Ireland from Ukraine. The Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) has information on employment law in Ukrainian (pdf) and Russian (pdf).


You must register and have your qualifications recognised to work in some professions. For example, you must register with the Medical Council to work as a doctor.

The Teaching Council is developing a process to allow people who are qualified teachers in Ukraine to register and teach in Ireland.

Money and tax

To open a bank account you need identification. There is a guide in Ukrainian about opening a bank account if you do not have the standard identification (pdf).

Revenue has information about the taxes you pay as a worker in Ukrainian and Russian.


The Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) programme is a free preschool programme for all eligible children before starting primary school. Your child must be between 2 years and 8 months in the September that the ECCE term starts. They cannot be older than 5 years and 6 months by the end of the ECCE term in June. ECCE is normally provided for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week over the school year.

The National Childcare Scheme has 2 types of subsidy for children who are aged over 6 months:

  • A universal subsidy for children under 3. Children over 3 who have not yet qualified for the ECCE are also eligible. (From 29 August 2022, the age limit will be extended to children aged up to 15). It is not means tested.

An income-assessed subsidy for children up to 15. It is means tested.


How can I enrol my child in school?

You can contact your local school or the Regional Education and Language Teams (REALT) to help you enrol your child in school.

The Tusla Education Support Service can also help you find a school for your child.

You can read about how to enrol your child in:

Parents with a child starting primary school can find information in Ukrainian and Russian.

School transport

School transport services are available to Ukrainian students on the same basis as children in Ireland. There will be no charge for the service if seats are available.

If you are:

  • Living with a host family, in your own accommodation or in private accommodation, you can apply online. You can get the form in English, Ukrainian and Russian
  • Living in an accommodation centre, the school principal of your child’s school should apply for school transport and return the form to REALT.

If you move to new accommodation a new application will be required.

Contact or call 057 932 5467 for more information about school transport.

Further education and third level education

New temporary measures to support people covered by the Temporary Protection Directive (TPD) are in place for the academic year 2022-2023. If you are coming from Ukraine:

A payment of €1,150 per month to qualified persons taking a full-time course in higher education will also be available.

Applications for third level education using the National Student and Researcher (NSR) online application system closed on 2 August 2022.

Access to courses is dependent on the availability of places. You will have to meet the educational requirements for your chosen course.

Applying for a PLC Bursary

Post Leaving Certificate (PLC) courses are full time and are run by local Education and Training Boards. You can find a list of PLC courses.

You can apply for a PLC Bursary for Displaced Persons.

You must send with your application a copy of the letter of temporary protection in Ireland from the Department of Justice. The Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) may ask you for further documentation.

Qualifications from Ukraine

Quality and Qualifications Ireland have information (in Ukrainian) about its qualifications recognition service. This guide helps you to use QQI’s foreign qualifications recognition service (NARIC).

Pets, driving and other issues

Can I bring my pet to Ireland?

There are special arrangements in place for bringing pets from Ukraine. This means you may be able to bring your pets even if they are missing documentation or do not satisfy the usual rules for entering Ireland. The special arrangements only apply if you are travelling with the pet.

If you are bringing pets, you should still bring as much information as you can about your pet, for example, information on vaccinations, microchip and worming.

Can I drive in Ireland?

You can drive on your Ukrainian driving licence while in Ireland under temporary protection. You can no longer exchange your Ukrainian licence for an Irish driving licence.

If you have already exchanged your Ukrainian driving licence for an Irish licence, you can continue to drive on your Irish licence for one year from the date it was issued.

If you have already exchanged your Ukrainian driving licence and you want it returned to you, send your Irish licence to National Driver Licence Service, PO Box 858, Southside Delivery Office, Cork. You must include a letter in English saying you want your Ukrainian licence returned. You must also include your Irish address and phone number.

You can read more in the frequently asked questions for Ukrainian road users (pdf) on the Road Safety Authority’s website. You can also send an email in English to for further information.

Bringing your car from Ukraine

If you bring your car from Ukraine, there are certain vehicle importation rules you must follow, depending on how long you stay in Ireland. You can apply for a vehicle temporary exemption when you arrive. This means you do not have to pay vehicle tax. You can contact Revenue for more information.

Car insurance

By law you must be insured to drive your Ukrainian car when using it on Irish roads. The Motor (Transport) Insurance Bureau of Ukraine (UA) has prepared a list of Ukrainian Insurance Providers that allows Ukrainian refugees to renew their insurance policies online and to get an International Insurance Green Card. You can find more information about this at

I want to help

You can pledge accommodation on the Irish Red Cross website. You can pledge a spare room in your home or a vacant property. After you leave your details, someone from the Irish Red Cross will contact you to get further details. The Irish Red Cross is working with the Irish Government to match people who have accommodation to offer, with refugees who have come to Ireland.

If you speak Ukrainian and want to help, you can contact the International Protection Accommodation Service.

You can volunteer to help with conversational English classes through the Third Age.

NASC Migrant and Refugee Rights has a community sponsorship programme that helps people to support refugee families in their local areas. The Open Community supports community sponsorship programmes for refugees.

Read about how people and businesses can help on Business can pledge help on

Further information

You can read about:

The following organisations have further information in English, Ukrainian and Russian:

The European Commission has a freephone helpline in Ukrainian that can give you information on EU entry and travel, your right to education and access to jobs or healthcare.

  • Freephone 00 800 6789 1011 from within the EU
  • Phone +32 22 99 96 96 from outside the EU (charges apply)

The helpline also provides information in official EU languages and Russian and offers a free call back service. You can also contact the European Commission for information through an online contact form.

Page edited: 30 September 2022