Breaks and respite care for carers
Respite care provides alternative family or institutional care to someone who needs care, so that their carer can take a short break, a holiday or a rest.
Home Carer Tax Credit
If you are married or in a civil partnership and you care for a dependent person, you can apply for the Home Carer Tax Credit.
Illness in your retirement
Payments and services available to support older people who become ill or acquire a disability. Information on income supports, health care, housing, taxation and caring for someone else.
Carer's Support Grant
Carer's Support Grant is a cash payment to carers. It used to be called the Respite Care Grant.
Long-Term Carers Contributions
The Long-Term Carers Contribution Scheme makes it easier for people who take time out of their working life to provide care to qualify for a State Pension (Contributory).
Carer's Allowance
Carer's Allowance is a weekly social welfare payment to people who are caring for a person who needs support because of their age, disability or illness (including mental illness).
Carer's Benefit
Carer's Benefit is a social insurance payment made to someone who gives up work or reduces their hours to care for person in need of full time care.
Half-rate Carer's Allowance
Half-rate Carer's Allowance is payable with certain other social welfare payments provided you meet the qualifying criteria. Find out how to qualify for half-rate Carer's Allowance.
Budget 2016
Budget 2016 was announced on 13 October 2015. Summary of the main changes.
Caring for a child with a disability
Find out what supports and services are available to parents, guardians and carers of children with disabilities
Carer's leave
The Carers Leave Act 2001 allows employees to take unpaid time off work to provide full-time care for people that require this care.
Returning to Ireland with children
Outlines the supports and services you may need to know about when returning home to Ireland with children. Covers employment rights, supports for people parenting alone and caring for a child with a disability.
GP visit cards
Unless you have a medical card or GP visit card, visits to family doctors are not free. What is a GP visit card and how can you apply?
There are currently more than 5,500 children in care in Ireland. Find out about fostering in Ireland and how you can become involved.
HomeCaring Periods Scheme
The HomeCaring Periods Scheme can help you get a higher rate of State Pension (Contributory) if you spent time out of work to care full-time for a child aged under 12, or a person aged 12 or over (including an adult) who needed an increased level of care.
Tax relief on employing a home carer
Tax relief is available on the cost of employing a carer for either yourself or for another family member. Information on this tax relief and how to apply.
Income supports for older people
Find out about the range of payments available, and link to a broader checklist of entitlements for older people.