Renting a home

Overview Document Information for people looking for somewhere to rent: what questions to ask and information on your rights.

Tenants’ rights and obligations
The rights and responsibilities of people who rent from private landlords or housing associations.

Landlords’ rights and obligations
Overview of the rights, duties and obligations of private landlords and housing associations.

Private tenants: security of tenure
Fixed-term and periodic tenancies: security of tenure under Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.

Rent increases in private rented housing
There are detailed rules governing the review and raising of private rents.

Rent books
In general, tenants are legally entitled to a rent book, which records the rent paid and must contain specific information.

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)
The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)is a form of social housing support provided by all local authorities. Under the scheme, rent is paid directly to private landlords and you pay a weekly contribution to your local authority.

Tax issues for tenants
Describes the requirement to deduct tax from your rent payments if your landlord lives abroad, unless you pay rent through a collection agent. Gives information about the tax relief on rent, which is no longer available.

Minimum standards for rented housing
Landlords are legally obliged to ensure that their properties comply with minimum physical standards as set out in Regulations.

If your landlord wants you to leave
The rules that private landlords and housing associations must comply with when ending a residential tenancy.

Resolving disputes between landlords and tenants
The Residential Tenancies Board provides a dispute resolution service for landlords and tenants in private rented accommodation and housing association tenancies.

Sharing accommodation with your landlord
This document explains the position of tenants who live in their landlord's home. There are different rules, depending on whether or not your accommodation is self-contained.

Registering a tenancy
Private landlords must register residential tenancies with the Residential Tenancies Board. This includes properties rented out by housing associations and student-specific accommodation.

Residential Tenancies Board
The Residential Tenancies Board maintains a register of private rented tenancies and housing association tenancies and provides a dispute resolution service.

Cost rental housing
Cost rental provides affordable rented accommodation to people on middle incomes. Cost rental homes have reduced rent and tenants have long-term security of tenure.