Renting a home

    Overview Document Information for people looking for somewhere to rent: what questions to ask and information on your rights.

    The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a social housing support provided by local authorities. Under the scheme, rent is paid directly to private landlords and you pay a weekly contribution to your local authority.

    Gives information about the new Rent Tax Credit. Describes the requirement to deduct tax from your rent payments if your landlord lives abroad, unless you pay rent through a collection agent.

    The rights and responsibilities of people who rent from private landlords or approved housing bodies.

    Overview of the rights, duties and obligations of private landlords and approved housing bodies.

    Security of tenure is a tenant’s right to stay in rented accommodation for a set amount of time.

    There are detailed rules governing the review and raising of private rents.

    In general, tenants are legally entitled to a rent book, which records the rent paid and must contain specific information.

    Landlords are legally obliged to ensure that their properties comply with minimum physical standards as set out in Regulations.

    The rules that private landlords and approved housing bodies must comply with when ending a residential tenancy.

    The Residential Tenancies Board provides a dispute resolution service for landlords and tenants in private rented accommodation and approved housing body tenancies.

    This document explains the position of tenants who live in their landlord's home. There are different rules, depending on whether or not your accommodation is self-contained.

    Private landlords must register residential tenancies with the Residential Tenancies Board. This includes properties rented out by housing associations and student-specific accommodation.

    The Residential Tenancies Board maintains a register of private rented tenancies and approved housing body tenancies and provides a dispute resolution service.

    This scheme is for private tenants who have received a notice of termination and are at risk of homelessness because their landlord is selling. The Housing Agency can buy the rental property and rent it back to the tenant.

    Cost rental provides affordable rented accommodation to people on middle incomes. Cost rental homes have reduced rent and tenants have long-term security of tenure.