Chiropody and podiatry services


Chiropodists assess, diagnose and treat diseases and abnormalities of the foot and lower limb. Chiropodists are also often known as Podiatrists. Chiropody/podiatry can help alleviate painful symptoms and improve mobility.

Usually, you are referred for chiropody services by your GP or public health nurse. You may also contact chiropodists directly.

The availability of chiropody services provided by the Health Service Executive (HSE) varies in different areas. Where available, services may be provided by the Local Health Office or by voluntary organisations on behalf of the HSE. Contact your GP, public health nurse or Local Health Office for information on chiropody services in your area.

Where chiropody services are provided by the HSE the following groups usually get priority:

  • Medical card holders who are aged 66 and over
  • People who have Health Amendment Act Cards
  • People who have illnesses such as diabetes or arthritis
  • People with disabilities

Tax relief and chiropody services

You may be able to claim tax relief on medical expenses if you pay for chiropody services that are prescribed by a doctor. You may also be able to claim tax relief on doctor visits and prescription drugs.

See our information on tax relief for medical expenses for further details.

Registration of chiropodists/podiatrists

There are currently 3 separate professional bodies representing chiropodists/podiatrists:

You can contact them for information about chiropody or to check whether your practitioner is registered as a member.

CORU, the Health and Social Care Professionals Council, is the organisation that will register and regulate podiatrists.

Read more about registration of social care professionals here.

Page edited: 11 November 2019