Boarding out of older people

What is boarding out?

If you are an older person and your home becomes unsuitable, or you are unable or do not want to live on your own, you may consider moving into a private homeowner's house.

This is called boarding out and is organised in communities by the Health Service Executive (HSE).

The householder is the person who owns the home. They will be responsible for giving you the care you need as well as meals that are nutritious and varied.

The boarding out scheme is not available in all areas. A maximum of 6 people can be boarded out in one house.

How does the boarding out scheme work?

Taking into account your needs, the HSE must check that the house is suitable for you to live in.

The HSE will also check that the householder:

  • Is a suitable person to look after you
  • Can give you suitable and sufficient care, nutritious and varied food, and be available and in attendance
  • Respects your privacy

You can read the standards of accommodation, cleanliness and safety.

How much does boarding out cost?

You may need to pay an amount agreed by the HSE and the householder. The HSE will also pay the householder up to half the weekly rate of the State Pension (Non-Contributory).

How to make a complaint about your boarding out

If you are boarding out you or somebody acting on your behalf can make a complaint to the Local Health Office.

You can complain about the home you are staying in, the maintenance (or upkeep), the care you are getting and your welfare.

You can read about how to make a complaint about your boarding out.

Organisations that can help you


1 Willie Bermingham Place
Dublin 8

Tel: +353 (0)1 6791032

Age Action Ireland Ltd.

30-31 Lower Camden Street
Dublin 2

Tel: +353 (0)1 4756989
Fax: +353 (0)1 4756011
Page edited: 26 June 2023