Workplace Equipment Adaptation Grant
The Workplace Equipment Adaptation Grant (WEAG) is a grant for people with a disability who work in the private sector.
Employers and self-employed people can apply for the grant towards the cost of adapting the workplace or making it more accessible for staff with disabilities.
The grant is provided by the Department of Social Protection.
Who can apply?
You or your employer can apply for this grant if you:
- Have been offered employment or an apprenticeship in the private sector
- Are in employment in the private sector and have recently changed jobs because you have been re-deployed or promoted
- Are in employment in the private sector and you acquired a disability while in employment, or you have a condition that has deteriorated
- Are about to become self-employed and need adaptations to your workplace or equipment
Who cannot get the grant?
Public sector employers and employees cannot get this grant. Public sector employers include government departments, State agencies, the Health Service Executive and local authorities. Public sector employers must facilitate staff with disabilities by making assistive technology, adaptive equipment and facilities, aids and appliances available. They must cover the costs of this themselves.
What can you use it for?
You or your employer can apply for a grant for a range of adaptations and equipment including:
- Minor building modifications, such as ramps or modified toilets
- Alarm systems with flashing lights
- Voice synthesizers for computers or amplifiers for phones
The grant be used towards the cost of:
- Adapting or buying equipment
- Upgrading adapted equipment which was funded previously
- Training people so they use the equipment The maximum grant is €6,350. This is available towards the cost of adapting or purchasing equipment. This grant can also be used to upgrade adapted equipment which was funded previously, and for training people so they use the equipment.
How much can you get?
The maximum grant is €6,350.
How to apply
You or your employer can apply for the grant if you are already employed or about to start employment.
- Complete Part 1 (pdf) and Part 2 (pdf) of the Reasonable Accommodation Fund application form. Forms are also available from your local Intreo Centre, Social Welfare Branch Office or local EmployAbility service.
- Identify the equipment or adaptation that is needed, justifying why it is needed
- Submit medical evidence confirming that your disability means that the equipment or adaptations are needed so you can do your job
- Provide quotations for the adaptation or equipment. You must get 1 quote for costs under €700, 2 quotes for costs over €700 and 3 quotes for costs over €1,500
- Supply plans and timescale for any workplace adaptations
Send completed applications to your local Intreo Centre, Social Welfare Branch Office or local EmployAbility service.
A Case Officer from the Department will meet you to review the application. If approved, the grant is then paid directly to the applicant to cover the agreed costs.
You can find further information in the WEAG guidelines and contact details on gov.ie.