You are here: Home > Social Welfare > Social welfare payments > Families and children > Deserted Wife's Benefit

Deserted Wife's Benefit


Deserted Wife's Benefit and Deserted Wife’s Allowance are two social welfare payments made to women who were deserted by their husbands. Both of these payments were closed to new applications in January 1997, when the One-Parent Family Payment was introduced. Some women have continued to get Deserted Wife’s Benefit because they qualified for the payment before 2 January 1997 and have continued to meet the qualifying criteria.


Deserted Wife's Benefit is a payment made to a woman deserted by her husband. Entitlement to the payment is based on social insurance contributions paid by the woman or her husband.

If you have transfered from Deserted Wife’s Benefit to One-Parent Family Payment to be accepted as a participant on a Community Employment Scheme, you can apply to have your entitlement to Deserted Wife's Benefit restored. The maximum weekly rate of payment for Deserted Wife’s Benefit is higher than the maximum weekly rate of One-Parent Family Payment. If you qualify to have your entitlement to Deserted Wife’s Benefit restored you may also be due arrears.

Women getting Deserted Wife’s Benefit can apply for and transfer to the State Pension (Contributory) when they reach 66.

If you are currently getting a reduced rate of Deserted Wife's Benefit, but have been working, then you may qualify for a higher rate of State Pension (Contributory), based on your own PRSI contributions, when you reach 66. However if you do not qualify for the State Pension (Contributory) when you reach 66 you will automatically get a higher rate of Deserted Wife's Benefit (see 'Rates' below).


In 2016 and before March 2017:

PRSI Contributions Rate per week Rate per week (aged 66 or over)
48 or over €193.50 €233.30
36-47 €190.70 €228.70
24-35 €188 €223.30

From March 2017:

PRSI Contributions Rate per week (aged under 66 - from 16 March) Rate per week (aged 66 or over - from 9 March)
48 or over €198.50 €238.30
36-47 €195.60 €233.60
24-35 €193.00 €228.10

You may also get an increase in your payment for child dependents and extra benefits such as Living Alone Allowance and Fuel Allowance.

Reduced rates of Deserted Wife's Benefit:

Any new application for Deserted Wife’s Benefit received on or after 31 August 1992 is subject to an earnings limit as well as satisfying the PRSI contribution condition. Since May 2007, you will get one of the rates of Deserted Wife’s Benefit in the table above if your yearly income is less than €20,000. You are not entitled to Deserted Wife’s Benefit if your earnings are over €20,000.

It is important to note, a reduced rate of Deserted Wife's Benefit based on earnings or insufficient PRSI contributions does not apply to claims made before 31 August 1992.

How to apply

It is no longer possible to apply for Deserted Wife's Benefit or Deserted Wife's Allowance - these payments have been closed to new applicants since January 1997.

If you are getting Deserted Wife's Benefit, you may be entitled to extra benefits from the Department of Social Protection including a Living Alone Allowance and the Household Benefits Package when you turn 66.

Where to apply

For more information about deserted wife's payments contact:

Department of Social Protection

Deserted Wife's Payments Section
College Road

Tel:(071) 915 7100
Locall:1890 500 000

Page edited: 2 March 2017



Related Documents

  • Deserted Wife's Allowance
    Deserted Wife’s Allowance is a means-tested payment for women under 66 without dependent children who were deserted by their husband and who do not qualify for Deserted Wife’s Benefit.
  • Social assistance in Ireland
    To get a social assistance payment you must be habitually resident and pass a means test. This document lists the different social assistance payments from the Department of Social Protection.
  • One-Parent Family Payment
    One-Parent Family Payment is a payment for men and women who are bringing children up without the support of a partner.

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.