You are here: Home > Social Welfare > Social welfare payments > Extra social welfare benefits > Free Travel in Ireland

Free Travel in Ireland


Everyone aged 66 and over living permanently in the State is entitled to the Free Travel Scheme. Some people under 66 also qualify. If you qualify for free travel, you are issued with a pass that you must carry with you when using public transport. In some cases, a Free Travel Companion Pass is available which allows a person to travel with the holder (if they are unable to travel alone). Free travel passes are non-transferrable and can only be used by the named person.

Free travel is available on all State public transport (bus, rail and Dublin's LUAS service). Free travel is also available on a limited number of services operated by private bus transport companies. Private bus transport operators that have opted in to the Free Travel Scheme accept free travel passes. You should contact the Department of Social Protection to check whether your private bus operator accepts free travel passes - see 'Where to apply' below.

Free travel and Public Services Card

The Government is introducing a Public Services Card which will allow people to access a range of government services and payments. The Public Services Card will eventually replace the Free Travel Pass.

If you are entitled to free travel, when you are issued with your new Public Services Card it will also be your Free Travel Card. The card will have F-T printed in a yellow octagon in the top-left-hand corner of the card. You can see a sample card on (pdf).

You must show your Public Services Card to the travel operator when you are travelling on public transport. (In some cases you may be asked to scan your Public Services Card however not all transport operators have this facility.) When you receive your new Public Services Card, you must return your old free travel pass to the Department of Social Protection (see 'Where to apply' below).

There are 3 categories of Free Travel Pass:

  • If FT-P is written on your Public Services Card, you personally are entitled to free travel.
  • If FT+S is written on your Public Services Card, your spouse, partner or cohabitant can join you for free when you are travelling (they cannot travel for free alone). Your spouse, partner or cohabitant’s name will not be on the card.
  • If FT+C is written on your Public Services Card a companion (over 16) can travel with you for free (because you are unable to travel alone for medical reasons).

Read FAQs on the Public Services Card and free travel (pdf). Note that the Department of Social Protection is no longer issuing paper passes.

Spouses, civil partners, cohabitants and companions

If you have a Free Travel Pass and you are married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting, you are entitled to a Free Travel Pass which allows your partner to accompany you free of charge when travelling. (This does not apply to people under age 66 who are getting Carer's Allowance or who are nominated carers for people getting Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relatives Allowance from the Department of Social Protection).

If you are unable to travel alone you may get a Free Travel Companion Pass. This allows you to be accompanied by any person over 16 years of age, free of charge. To qualify for a Free Travel Companion Pass you must satisfy certain conditions. You can read about these conditions in the Free Travel leaflet (SW40).

Senior SmartPass for travelling in Northern Ireland

The All Ireland Free Travel Scheme allows a Free Travel passholder (those aged 66 and older) to travel free of charge on all bus and rail services within Northern Ireland using a Senior Smartpass card. Similarly, Northern Ireland Senior Smartpass holders are entitled to travel for free on services in Ireland using their existing Senior Smartpass. If your Free Travel Pass allows you to be accompanied by a spouse, civil partner or cohabitant or companion they may continue to travel with you for free on cross-border journeys but they cannot accompany you for free on public transport within Northern Ireland.

Free Travel Pass holders wishing to avail of the All Ireland Free Travel scheme within Northern Ireland must first obtain a Senior SmartPass card. To get a Senior SmartPass card you must fill in an application form (FTNI1). (It is not possible to get this form online, to get a form you must contact your social welfare local office).

The application form must be filled in with black ink only and returned in person (not posted) to your social welfare local office. You must bring the following items with your application form to your social welfare local office:

  • Your current Free Travel Pass and
  • Evidence of your address, (for example, a gas, electricity, phone bill or bank statement) and
  • Evidence of your identity, (for example, your drivers licence, passport or another form of photo identification) and
  • A recent passport standard colour photograph.

It may take up to six weeks to process your application. There is further information on the extension of the Free Travel Scheme.

You should continue to use your current Free Travel Pass for travel in this State.

Renewing a Senior SmartPass

Your Senior SmartPass will expire after 5 years.

  • If you have electronically used your card within the last 2 years you will get a new card automatically in the post from Translink when your card expires.
  • If you have not used your card in the last 2 years you will be sent a renewal application form to fill out. (The renewal form is not the same as a first-time application and you do not need to supply a photograph.)
  • If you have never used your card you will not hear from Translink at all. If you wish to get it renewed, you must contact Translink on on 048 9075 9129 who will send you a renewal application.


You may be entitled to free travel if you are permanently living in the State and:

  • You are aged 66 or over
  • You are getting Disability Allowance, Blind Pension, Carer's Allowance or an Invalidity Pension from the Department of Social Protection.
  • You have been getting Incapacity Supplement or Workmen's Compensation with Disablement Pension for at least 12 months
  • You are blind or visually impaired and meet the medical conditions for Blind Pension
  • You are a specified carer for a person getting Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relatives Allowance from the Department
  • You are getting a social security invalidity payment, or similar payment, from another EU member state or from a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement for at least 12 months
  • You are a widow or widower or a surviving civil partner aged 60 or over whose late spouse/civil partner held a free travel pass and who is getting one of the following payments: State Pension (Transition), Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's (Contributory) Pension, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension, One-Parent Family Payment, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme or a similar social security pension/benefit from an EU member state or a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement, or an ordinary Garda widow's pension.

Where free travel can be used

Free travel is available on Iarnród Éireann, Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus, Dart and Luas Services and on certain private bus and ferry services. You may also travel free of charge on certain cross-border services between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

If you are permanently living on any of the Aran Islands, you may get up to 12 single (or 6 return) air trips each year between the islands and the mainland. People who live permanently on Tory Island (Co. Donegal) are entitled to a 8 (or 4 return) free journeys on the seasonal helicopter service operating between the island and the mainland.

There are no restrictions on the times you can use your Free Travel Pass.

How to apply

If you are aged 66 or over and are getting a social welfare pension, your Free Travel Pass will issue automatically. If you are under age 66, you will get a Free Travel Pass automatically when you are awarded an Invalidity Pension, a Blind Pension, Disability Allowance or Carer’s Allowance. In all other circumstances, you must apply for free travel by completing a Free Travel application form FT1 (pdf).

You can get this form and additional information from the Department of Social Protection - see 'Where to apply' below. The form is also available at your local post office.

If you are married or in a civil partnership and either of you apply for a Free Travel Pass or are issued one automatically, the appropriate type of pass (to allow your spouse or civil partner to accompany you free of charge) will be issued. If you are cohabiting, you must apply for this type of pass by completing PART 2 of the above application form. If you already have a Free Travel Pass (single status), you should return it with the application form.

People living in Dublin, Limerick, Cork, Galway or Waterford must exchange the Free Travel Pass for a photo pass at the CIE office in the city - see 'Where to apply' below.

Lost or damaged Free Travel Passes

There are currently 2 types of Free Travel Pass - a paper Free Travel Pass and a Public Services Card Free Travel (with F-T written in the top left-hand corner). Paper passes are no longer being issued so if you need a replacement for a lost or damaged paper pass you must register for a Public Services Card.

If your Public Services Card Free Travel is lost, stolen or damaged, you should telephone 1890 837000 to request a replacement card.

Where to apply

Free Travel Section

Social Welfare Services
College Road

Tel:(071) 915 7100
Locall:1890 500 000

You can email the Free Travel section using the secure Free Travel enquiry form. If you wish to talk to someone face-to-face about your entitlements, you can visit your local Citizens Information centre, social welfare local office or Intreo centre.

If you live in Dublin, Limerick, Cork, Galway or Waterford, and you have already received your Free Travel Pass, you must exchange the photo pass voucher issued with your free travel pass for a photo pass at the CIE office in your city. The addresses for the CIE offices are listed below. The travel operator may also require you to provide additional proof of identification and photo ID regardless of where you live. If this is a condition of travel, the travel operator should notify passengers of this (either on their bus or on their website) so that you are fully aware of any documentation you need to travel.

Dublin Bus

59 Upper O'Connell Street
Dublin 1

Tel:(01) 872 0000

Bus Eireann - Cork

Travel Centre
Bus Station
Parnell Place

Tel:(021) 450 8188

Bus Eireann - Limerick

Travel Centre
Colbert Station

Tel:(061) 31 3333

Bus Eireann - Waterford

Travel Centre
Bus Station
The Quay

Tel:(051) 87 9000

Bus Eireann - Galway

Travel Centre
Ceannt Station

Tel:(091) 56 2000

Page edited: 19 June 2015



Related Documents

  • Income supports for older people
    Find out about the range of payments available, and link to a broader checklist of entitlements for older people.
  • Bus services
    Public bus transport services offer services on a wide range of routes throughout the country. Information on routes, timetables and fares.
  • Rail services in Ireland
    Public transport rail services in Ireland are operated by Iarnrod Eireann, a State company. Information about services, routes, fares and accessibility.

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.