Registration of non-EEA nationals


If you are not a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you need permission to enter Ireland. If you wish to stay for more than 3 months you must have permission to remain and register your presence in Ireland with immigration.

Under Section 9 of the Immigration Act 2004, non-EEA nationals must register when staying here for more than 3 months. In practice, this means that you are obliged to register with your local immigration registration officer following your arrival in Ireland. Registering with immigration officials means appearing in person before the registration officer and providing certain information and evidence about your status - see 'How to apply' below.

Any changes you wish to make to the length of your stay or status must also be reported to immigration officials. You must also notify the registration officer if you plan to move to another Garda District, and report to the registration officer of that new district within 2 days of arriving to live there.

What is the purpose of registration?

The purpose of registration of non-EEA nationals is for border control reasons. The Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) also carries out deportations, border control and investigations related to illegal immigration and trafficking in human beings. The GNIB has specialist units dealing in each area.

What happens after I register?

Following registration with immigration officials, you will be issued with a Certificate of Registration. The Certificate is the size of a credit card and includes your name, address, photograph and your residence details. It is often called a GNIB card.

Asylum seekers receive a different type of certificate – a Temporary Residence Certificate which is issued by the International Protection Office.

Certificates of Registration are not identity cards. They are, however, evidence that a person is legally resident in Ireland and you must show evidence of this if requested by the Garda Síochána.

Immigration stamps

As well as your Certificate of Registration, you will also receive a stamp in your passport, which specifies the duration and the conditions of your permission to remain in Ireland. The following table gives a list of the different types of stamp issued to non-EEA nationals:

Stamp number Issued to

Persons who are permitted to remain in Ireland for a specific, temporary and limited purpose, for example, visiting academics; retired people of independent means.


Persons who have received an employment permit, business permission or a working holiday authorisation.

1G Graduates who are permitted to remain under the Third Level Graduate Scheme (pdf).

Students who are attending a recognised full-time course of at least one year. They are permitted to work for 20 hours a week during term time and full time during holidays.


Students who are attending a course not recognised by the Department of Education and Skills. They are not permitted to work.


Persons who are not permitted to work. This includes visitors; ministers of religion and members of religious orders; spouses, civil partners and dependants of employment permit holders.


Spouses and civil partners of Irish nationals; family members of EEA citizens; people granted international protection (refugee status or subsidiary protection); parents of an Irish citizen child granted permission to remain on that basis. They do not need an employment permit or business permission to work.

4 (EU FAM)

Family members of EU nationals who have exercised their right to move to and live in Ireland. They do not need an employment permit or business permission to work.


In general, there is a fee of €300 (with some exemptions) for each Certificate of Registration issued to a non-EEA national. This fee is also payable when you are renewing it or replacing it if lost or stolen.

The fee and exemptions are set out in the Immigration Act 2004 (Registration Certificate Fee) Regulations 2012, as amended by the Immigration Act 2004 (Registration Certificate Fee) (Amendment) Regulations 2017 (pdf).

You do not have to pay a fee if you are:

The Regulations list certain other categories of people with international protection who are exempt from the fee.

You can read more information about the fee, exemptions and payment methods on

How to apply

As soon as possible following your arrival in Ireland, you should go to your local immigration registration office to register. If you live in Dublin this is the Burgh Quay Registration Office and you must book an appointment online to visit it. If you live outside Dublin, you go to a regional immigration office These offices are managed by the Garda Síochána and are generally located in Garda stations.

You should bring your passport or other document establishing your nationality and identity and you should provide any information requested in connection with the purpose of your arrival in Ireland. You should also bring documentation supporting your residence permission.

The registration officer will take your details and check your documents. The registration officer may also ask you to provide fingerprints, and may ask for further details.

Read more about what happens when you go to register.


Before your Certificate of Registration expires you should go to your local immigration registration office to renew it. You will need to bring your passport, your Certificate of Registration and evidence to support your residence permission, such as an employment permit.

Lost card

If you lose your Certificate of Registration or if it is stolen, you should report the loss or theft to the nearest Garda station and get a lost/stolen report. If you are abroad, you should report it to the nearest police station and get a similar report. You should then go to your local immigration registration office with the lost/stolen report and your passport to get a replacement Certificate of Registration.

Where to apply

If you are living outside Dublin, contact your regional registration office or your local Garda District Headquarters.

If you are living in Dublin city or county, contact:

Burgh Quay Registration Office

Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13/14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

Opening Hours:Monday to Thursday 8am to 9pm, Friday 8am to 6pm

Garda National Immigration Bureau

13/14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70


Page edited: 18 July 2017