You are here: Home > Housing > Renting a home > Private Residential Tenancies Board

Private Residential Tenancies Board


The Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) was set up under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. Its main functions are:

  • Maintaining a register of private residential tenancies
  • Providing a dispute resolution service
  • Carrying out research into the private rented sector

It also provides policy advice to the Government on the private rented sector.

New legislation

The Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2015 introduces some changes in this area. Further details will be available shortly.

Residential Tenancies Act 2004

The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 deals with the regulation of the mainstream private rented housing sector.

The Act sets out the rights and obligations of both landlords and tenants in private residential tenancies. A private residential tenancy means a tenancy that is agreed privately between a landlord and a tenant.

The Act does not apply to the following types of rented property:

  • Business lettings
  • Holiday lettings
  • Formerly rent-controlled dwellings or long occupation lease tenancies – separate legislation applies to them
  • Owner-occupied accommodation (for example, if you rent a room in your landlord's home
  • Dwellings in which the spouse, parent or child of the landlord lives. This applies to informal family arrangements where there is no tenancy agreement in writing. However, the Act does cover formal agreements between family members, for example where a lease has been signed
  • Social housing (though the voluntary housing sector is to be included under amended legislation)

Part 4 of the Act (which deals with security of tenure) does not apply to:

  • Employment-related lettings – these are sometimes called 'tied' houses in that they are tied to the job and you must leave the dwelling when the job ends, and
  • Section 50 student accommodation (pdf)

Our documents on tenants' rights and obligations and landlords' rights and obligations cover many of the requirements of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.

Services provided by the PRTB

Registration of tenancies

The PRTB maintains a national register of private residential tenancies. All such tenancies must be registered and there are penalties for landlords who do not register.

The PRTB can share information with local authorities, which enforce the regulations relating to standards and rent books. It can also share information with the Department of Social Protection and the Revenue Commissioners.

Read more about tenancy registration.

Dispute resolution

The PRTB provides a confidential dispute resolution service. You can initiate the dispute resolution process if you are a tenant, a landlord or are otherwise directly affected by a problem (for example, if you are a neighbour). A landlord who has not registered the tenancy with the PRTB cannot use the dispute resolution service, but their tenant(s) can use it.

Read more in our document on resolving disputes and on the PRTB’s website.

Research and information

The PRTB has published a number of research reports on issues in the private rented sector and it also publishes a quarterly Rent Index. It provides a wide range of information for tenants, landlords and agents, along with sample forms and other publications.



The basic rate is €90 per tenancy where the PRTB receives the completed application within a month of the start of the tenancy, with a late fee of €180 per tenancy where an application is received after that. Read more details of registration fees on the PRTB’s website.

Dispute resolution

The online fee for dispute resolution by adjudication is €15 and it costs €25 to apply on paper. There is no fee if you apply to have your dispute resolved by mediation.

The online fee for appeal to a tenancy tribunal is €85 and it costs €100 to apply on paper.

How to apply


You can register a tenancy online or else use a paper form (pdf).


You can submit a dispute online or else contact the PRTB and ask for a dispute application form.

Where to apply

Private Residential Tenancies Board

PO Box 47
Co. Cork

Tel:+353 (0) 818 30 30 37
Fax:+353 (0) 818 30 30 39

Page edited: 4 February 2016



Related Documents

  • Resolving disputes between landlords and tenants
    Disputes can arise between landlords and tenants in rented accommodation. In many cases, these disputes can be resolved informally between the two parties. Find out more.
  • Tenants’ rights and obligations
    The main rights and responsibilities of tenants in private rented accommodation derive from landlord and tenant law as well as from any written or oral tenancy agreement.
  • Registering a tenancy
    Private landlords must register residential tenancies with the Private Residential Tenancies Board.

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.