Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme


The Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme aims to improve the energy efficiency and warmth of homes owned by people on low incomes. It is operated by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI).

Full details of the scheme are on the SEAI’s website.


The work funded under the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme includes:

  • Attic insulation
  • Draught-proofing
  • Lagging jackets
  • Low-energy light bulbs
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Energy advice

The scheme does not cover the following: external wall insulation, internal drylining, central heating, windows, doors or renewable technologies.

A surveyor acting for SEAI will arrange to call to your home to confirm that you are eligible and assess the amount of work needed. If you are eligible, the work will then be done by an installer, appointed by SEAI. However, as the scheme is in high demand, you may have to wait some months before the work can start.

The Environmental Protection Agency encourages anyone availing of this scheme to have their home tested for radon.

Do I qualify?

You must own your home and be living in it. Your home must have been built and occupied before 2006.

You must be getting one of the following payments:

In addition, you only qualify for the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme once, so you cannot qualify if you have already availed of the scheme.

If you are in private rented accommodation and are at risk of energy poverty, your landlord may be able to get a grant under the separate Better Energy Homes Scheme. Read more about rights and obligations related to renting a home.

After the works are done

Installers provide a 2-year guarantee on all works carried out.

A sample of homes is inspected to ensure that the works meet the required standards. A Building Energy Rating (BER) is carried out on all homes after the works are complete to assess the building’s energy performance and issue a BER certificate.

You cannot have works done again under the scheme.


You will not be charged for works done under the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme.

How to apply

You must complete the application form (pdf). You can download it from or contact SEAI to ask for it to be posted out – see ‘Where to apply’ below. You will need to provide evidence that you are eligible for the scheme. Full details of the information required are on the application form.

You can scan the completed form and the required supporting documents and email them to SEAI, or else send them by post.

Where to apply

Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme

Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland
P.O. Box 119

Locall:1800 250 204

Further information

A pilot Warmth and Wellbeing Scheme aims to improve the living conditions of vulnerable people who are living with chronic respiratory conditions. This pilot scheme provides free energy efficiency upgrades to eligible homes, to make them warmer and more comfortable, especially during colder months. The scheme is only available in certain areas at present. It works on the basis of referrals from the Health Service Executive (HSE) – you cannot apply directly.

Read more about the Warmth and Wellbeing Scheme.

For general information on keeping well and warm in cold weather, there is a useful booklet Keeping well and warm on the HSE’s website.

Page edited: 10 January 2018