You are here: Home > Housing > Housing grants and schemes > Mobility Aids Grant Scheme

Mobility Aids Grant Scheme


The Mobility Aids Grant Scheme provides grants for works designed to address mobility problems in the home, such as the purchase and installation of grab-rails, a level access shower, access ramps or a stair-lift. It is primarily for older people, but people with disability can also access the scheme.

Changes in 2014

Changes to 3 housing grant schemes were announced in January 2014 and came into effect immediately. The changes to the Mobility Aids Grant Scheme are:

  • Income of all household members will now be included in the means test (though Carer’s Allowance should be disregarded)
  • Applicants must prove that they have complied with the Local Property Tax

The Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government is preparing revised guidelines for the 3 schemes.


The grant is available to people with a maximum household income less than €30,000.

The grant can be paid to people in:

  • Owner-occupied housing
  • Houses being purchased from a local authority under the Tenant Purchase Scheme
  • Private rented accommodation (the duration of your tenancy can affect grant approval)
  • Accommodation provided under the voluntary housing Capital Assistance and Rental Subsidy schemes
  • Accommodation occupied by persons living in communal residences.

Your application will be prioritised based on medical need. Highest priority will be given to people who are terminally ill or where alterations/adaptions would facilitate discharge from hospital. When the local authority receives your application, it may request an Occupational Therapist's (OT) assessment. The local authority can arrange for an OT assessment, but you can employ an OT to carry out an assessment and recoup up to €200 as part of the total grant up to the maximum you are entitled to.

Means test

Your total household income is assessed to find out if you qualify for the grant and at what level of assistance.

Household income is:

  • Property owner's (tenant's in the case of private renting) and spouse's/partner's annual gross income in the previous tax year
  • Income of any other adults living in the household - aged over 23 years (or aged over 18 and not in full-time education)

The following is not taken into account when calculating your household income:

Proof of tax compliance

If you intend to pay more than €650 to a contractor, you must get your contractor to submit their C2/Tax Clearance Certificate to the local authority.

You must provide evidence that the Local Property Tax on the house has been paid.

Starting the work to adapt your home

It is expected that the work will start within 6 months of your grant approval.


The maximum grant available is €6,000 and may cover 100% of the cost of the work.

Where to apply

Apply to your local authority.
Page edited: 17 January 2014



Related Documents

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.