You are here: Home > Housing > Housing grants and schemes > Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability

Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability


A housing adaptation grant is available where changes need to be made to a home to make it suitable for a person with a physical, sensory or intellectual disability or mental health difficulty to live in. The original Regulations for the grant scheme were amended by new Regulations (pdf) in 2014.

The grant can help you to make changes and adaptations to your home, for example, making it wheelchair-accessible, extending it to create more space, adding a ground-floor bathroom or toilet or a stair-lift. In some cases, the provision of heating can be included, but only under certain conditions.

If you only require minor work, you can apply for the means-tested Mobility Aids Grant Scheme instead.

Changes in 2014

Changes to 3 housing grant schemes were announced in January 2014. The changes came into effect on 27 February 2014, so any applications received before this date are being handled under the earlier rules. The main changes to the Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability are:

  • The maximum income threshold has been reduced to €60,000 (previously €65,000)
  • The percentages of approved costs covered by the grant have been adjusted on a sliding scale (but the maximum grant stays at €30,000, or 95% of approved costs)
  • Extension works will only qualify if no suitable cheaper option is feasible
  • An occupational therapist must confirm that the works are fit for purpose and that they meet the applicant’s needs in the most economic way
  • Income of all household members will now be included in the means test (though Carer’s Allowance should be disregarded)
  • Applicants must prove that they have complied with the Local Property Tax

The Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government is preparing revised guidelines for the 3 schemes.


The grant can be paid to people in:

  • Owner-occupied housing
  • Houses being purchased from a local authority under the Tenant Purchase Scheme
  • Private rented accommodation (the duration of your tenancy can affect grant approval)
  • Accommodation provided under the voluntary housing Capital Assistance and Rental Subsidy schemes
  • Accommodation occupied by persons living in communal residences

Your application will be prioritised based on medical need. There are 3 priority levels:

  • Priority 1: A person who is terminally ill or fully/mainly dependent on family or carer; or where alterations/adaptations would facilitate discharge from hospital or alleviate the need for hospitalisation in the future.
  • Priority 2: A person who is mobile but needs assistance washing, toilet facilities, bedroom etc; or where without the alterations/adaptations the disabled person's ability to function independently would be hindered.
  • Priority 3: A person who is independent but requires special facilities to improve the quality of life, for example, separate bedroom or living space.

An occupational therapist's (OT) assessment will be required. The local authority can arrange for an OT assessment, or you can hire an OT privately to carry out an assessment and recoup up to €200 as part of the total grant, up to the maximum you are entitled to.

Means test

Your total household income is assessed to find out if you qualify for the grant and the amount payable.

Household income is:

  • Property owner's (or tenant's, in the case of private renting) and spouse's/partner's annual gross income in the previous tax year
  • Income of any other adults living in the household - aged over 23 years (or over 18 and not in full-time education)

The following is not taken into account when calculating your household income:

Tax information required: applicant

When applying for the grant, you must provide:

  • Your tax reference number
  • Details of your tax district and
  • A statement that, to the best of your knowledge, your tax affairs are in order

If the value of your grant application adds up to €10,000 or more, you must make a valid Tax Clearance Certificate available to the local authority. You can either provide the physical certificate or else give the local authority your customer number and the reference number of the certificate and authorise it to confirm your tax clearance status electronically.

You must also provide evidence that the Local Property Tax on the house has been paid.

Tax information required: contractor

For payments over €650, you must provide the local authority with the following details in respect of each contractor:

  • Name, address, tax reference number and tax district
  • C2/tax clearance number and
  • Expiry date of the C2/Tax Clearance Certificate

For all grant payments totalling €10,000 and over, contractors must either produce a valid C2/Tax Clearance Certificate or authorise the local authority to confirm their tax clearance status electronically.

For payments under €10,000, contractors are not normally required to provide this information, but the local authority does check contractor details with Revenue in a certain percentage of cases.

Starting the work to adapt your home

The grant will not be paid if you start work before the grant is approved. However, it is expected that the work will start within 6 months of your grant approval.

Getting the work done safely

Under the Regulations governing safety, health and welfare at work, homeowners are obliged to ensure that construction work on their home is carried out by competent people. Read more, including a guide for homeowners (pdf) and some Frequently Asked Questions, on the website of the Health and Safety Authority.


Priority will be given to people on medical grounds. If your household income is less than €30,000 you may qualify for 95% of the cost of the works (up to the maximum grant amount of €30,000). The proportion of the costs to be grant-aided will be tapered from 95% down to 30%, depending on your income.

If you are unable to get a loan from a bank or building society to pay for the costs not covered by the grant, you may be able to get a local authority home improvement loan. If your house is less than 12 months old the grant will generally not exceed €14,500.

If you are a local authority tenant, the local authority will meet the entire cost of the works.

Rates from 27 February 2014, for houses over 12 months old

Maximum yearly household income % of costs Maximum grant
Up to €30,000 95% €30,000
€30,001 - €35,000 85% €25,000

€35,001 - €40,000

75% €22,500
€40,001 - €50,000 50% €15,000
€50,001 - €60,000 30% €9,000
Over €60,000 No grant payable

Rates from 27 February 2014, for houses less than 12 months old

Maximum yearly household income % of costs Maximum grant
Up to €30,000 95% €14,500
€30,001 - €35,000 85% €12,325

€35,001 - €40,000

75% €10,875
€40,001 - €50,000 50% €7,250
€50,001 - €60,000 30% €4,350
Over €60,000 No grant payable

Earlier rates

The following tables show the rates of grant that apply to applications received before 27 February 2014.

Rates up to 27 February 2014, for houses over 12 months old

Maximum yearly household income % of costs Maximum grant
Up to €30,000 95% €30,000
€30,000 - €34,000 90% €27,000

€34,001 - €38,000

80% €24,000
€38,001 - €42,000 70% €21,000
€42,001 - €46,000 60% €18,000
€46,001 - €50,000 50% €15,000
€50,001 - €54,000 40% €12,000
€54,001 - €65,000 30% €9,000
Over €65,000 No grant payable

Rates up to 27 February 2014, for houses less than 12 months old

Maximum yearly household income % of costs Maximum grant
Up to €30,000 95% €14,500
€30,000 - €34,000 90% €13,050

€34,001 - €38,000

80% €11,600
€38,001 - €42,000 70% €10,150
€42,001 - €46,000 60% €8,700
€46,001 - €50,000 50% €7,250
€50,001 - €54,000 40% €5,800
€54,001 - €65,000 30% €4,350
Over €65,000 No grant payable

Where to apply

You should contact the Housing Department of your local authority for further information and an application form.
Page edited: 7 March 2014



Related Documents

  • Housing Aid for Older Persons Scheme
    Grants are available to improve the homes of older people so that they can stay in their own homes for as long as possible.
  • Mobility Aids Grant Scheme
    This scheme assists older people with the costs of essential housing repairs and maintenance.
  • Budget 2007
    Budget 2007 was announced on 6 December 2006. Summary of the main changes.

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.