You are here: Home > Family and Relationships > Married couples > Guardianship status of fathers

Guardianship status of fathers


All mothers, irrespective of whether they are married or unmarried, have automatic guardianship status in relation to their children, unless they give the child up for adoption. A father who is married to the mother of his child also has automatic guardianship rights in relation to that child. This applies even if the couple married after the birth of the child. The rights of parents to guardianship are set down in Section 6 the Guardianship of Infants Act 1964. Guardianship rights entitle a parent to make important decisions regarding that child's upbringing, for example, deciding on the child's religion, education, medical treatment and where he/she lives.

However, a father who is not married to the mother of his child does not have automatic guardianship rights in relation to that child. If the mother agrees for him to be legally appointed guardian, they must sign a joint statutory declaration. The statutory declaration (SI 5 of 1998) must be signed in the presence of a Peace Commissioner or a Commissioner for Oaths. If there is more than one child, a separate statutory declaration should be made for each.

If the mother does not agree for him to have guardianship, he may apply for this status to the District Court.

However, he may be removed as guardian at a future date whereas a father married to the mother of the child is normally guardian for life.

Page updated: 22 January 2015



Related Documents

  • Legal guardianship and cohabiting couples
    Law in Ireland regarding guardianship of children of non-marital relationships.
  • Parenting alone
    There are a range of benefits and entitlements available to lone parents in Ireland. An overview of these benefits and important information on legal issues associated with parenting alone.
  • Custody of children and cohabiting couples
    When the parents of a child in Ireland separate and they cannot agree on who should have custody of the child, the court will decide. Find out about the law regarding the custody of children of non-marital relationships.

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.