Coming to Ireland from Ukraine


This page has information for people who have family in Ukraine, or for people in Ukraine who plan to travel to Ireland, or have recently arrived here.

You should go to a reception hub in the airport or port when you arrive. If you arrive at Dublin Airport you will be brought to the reception hub at City West Convention Centre in Dublin.

Otherwise, you can get help at a Ukraine Support Centre. These centres are currently in Dublin, Limerick and Cork. They can help you to apply for social welfare (financial help) and give you information on housing and immigration.

We will add more information to this page as it becomes available.

You can also read about supports for Ukrainians in Ireland and social welfare supports for Ukrainian refugees.

You can use Google Translate to read this page in Ukrainian or another language (please note that this uses machine translation and may not be a fully accurate translation of the page).


Citizens of Ukraine do not need a visa to travel to Ireland. You also do not need proof that you have a COVID-19 vaccine, and you do not need to take a COVID-19 test before you arrive.

If you do not have a current passport, you can use another form of identification to travel to Ireland (for example, national ID card, expired passport or birth certificate). The Irish Government has asked airlines to accept these documents.

If you are travelling with family members who are not Ukrainian citizens, they may need a visa to come to Ireland.

You can read frequently asked questions from the Irish immigration authority, called Immigration Service Delivery (ISD), for visa and immigration information.

The Irish Refugee Council also has information on coming to Ireland in Ukrainian.

Immigration and international protection

When you arrive in Ireland, you should go to the reception hub. If you arrive at Dublin Airport, you will be brought to the reception hub at City West Convention Centre in Dublin. If you arrive in Rosslare Port, you should go to ‘Passport Control’.

You should give your details to staff there so they can arrange residence in Ireland for you. They will give you a permission letter confirming that you have been granted Temporary Protection under the Temporary Protection Directive. See “I have not received my temporary permission letter” below for information about what to do if you did not enter Ireland through Dublin Airport, Rosslare Port or Dublin Port.

I have not received a temporary protection permission letter

If you did not get a permission letter at the reception hub when you arrived in Ireland, you can get it at a Ukraine Support Centre in any of the following locations:

  • Cork Street, Dublin 8
  • Hanover Street, Cork
  • Dominick Street, Limerick

See ‘Ukraine Support Centres’ below.

If the Irish Government gave you a place to stay (in a hotel for example), immigration officials will visit your accommodation and they can give you the permission letter.

Registration and Irish Residence Permits

Usually, all citizens from outside the EU/EEA who are 16 or over must register and get an Irish Residence Permit. You do not have to register and apply for an Irish Residence Permit for now, but you may have to later. The Irish immigration authorities have frequently asked questions for Ukrainians in Ireland.

Ukraine Support Centres

You can get information and help at a Ukraine Support Centre. The centres are currently available in Cork, Limerick and Dublin.

  • Dublin: Dublin 8 Intreo Centre, Guild Building, Cork Street, Dublin 8, D08 XH90
  • Cork: Cork City PSC and PPSN Centre, Department of Social Protection, Hanover Street, Cork, T12 PX62
  • Limerick: Dominick Street, Limerick, V94 X327

At a centre, you can get information about social welfare, immigration and housing. If you did not receive your temporary permission letter when you entered Ireland, you can get this letter at the Ukraine Support Centre in Dublin, Cork or Limerick.

Representatives from organisations that give information and advice, including the Citizens Information Service, are available. Information is available in Ukrainian.

You can get information on opening hours on

Social welfare

When you arrive in Ireland you can apply to the Department of Social Protection for income support. This is a weekly social welfare payment for you and any dependents (for example, children) you may have.

To get any Irish social welfare payment you need a Personal Public Service Number (PPS number). If you arrive at Dublin Airport, you will be brought to the City West Convention Centre in Dublin. You can apply for your PPS number there.

If you did not arrive through Dublin Airport or you are in Ireland already, you should go to a Ukraine Support Centre if you are in Cork, Dublin or Limerick, or your local Intreo centre or DSP branch office, to apply for a PPS number.

You can find out more about getting income support in our page on social welfare supports for Ukrainian refugees.

Accommodation and housing

If you have been granted temporary protection, you can get help with getting somewhere to stay if you need it. You should tell immigration officials that you need a place to stay when you arrive in Ireland and they will refer you to the International Protection Accommodation Service (IPAS).

IPAS accommodation is free of charge and includes different types of accommodation. For example, you may be accommodated in a hotel, guest house or another type of State-owned or private accommodation including property pledged by members of the public. The type of accommodation you will be offered depends on what is available at that time.

If you refuse 2 offers of accommodation, you will not get any more offers. You can read frequently asked questions about IPAS accommodation (pdf) in Ukrainian (pdf) and Russian (pdf).

If you arrive in Ireland at a port or airport that does not process applications for temporary protection, you can get accommodation for up to 2 nights. You should apply for temporary protection during this time.

If you don’t need a place to stay immediately (because you are staying with family or friends), you can ask for this help at any time later on.

If you need accommodation and you are already in Ireland, you can email the International Protection Accommodation Service (IPAS) at or visit a Ukraine Support Centre.

Include the following information in your email:

  • The full name of anyone who needs accommodation
  • Dates of birth
  • Phone number
  • Where you are now (the full address if you have one)
  • When you need the accommodation (for example, from tonight)
  • Medical conditions, disabilities, allergies and dietary requirements

The Housing Support Payment (HAP) helps people with a long-term housing need pay for rented accommodation. HAP is not available for Ukrainian refugees at this time as their accommodation is currently provided by IPAS.

Pledging accommodation

If you have vacant property or a spare room in your home, you can offer it to help accommodate a refugee. The Irish Red Cross will match the accommodation you offer with someone who has just arrived in Ireland. See 'I want to help' below or find out how to pledge accommodation on the Irish Red Cross’s website.

New financial supports for people providing accommodation

A monthly flat rate payment of €400 per property will be paid to people providing accommodation to Ukrainian refugees for a minimum of 6 months. The Department of Social Protection expects to open applications for the payment from mid-July 2022. Payments can be backdated to the outbreak of the conflict and are exempt from income tax and means testing for other State schemes.

It was also announced that new regulations will be introduced to allow you to have an income of up to €14,000 per year from renting a room in your home without it affecting your social welfare payment.

This page will be updated as more detail becomes available.

Healthcare and medical cards

Health services in Ireland are delivered by Ireland’s public healthcare service - the Health Service Executive (HSE). You can get the same public healthcare services as people who live in Ireland.

Everyone coming to Ireland under the Temporary Protection Directive is also entitled to a medical card with a simplified application process. A medical card allows you to visit a doctor for free, access other health services and get medicines at a reduced price. Children aged over 16 must apply for a medical card separately.

You should apply for your medical card using a special medical card application form (pdf) for people from Ukraine. The medical card application form is also available in Ukranian (pdf) and Russian (pdf). You can email your completed form to or by post to the address on the form.

You need:

  • Your name, current address and date of birth.
  • Your Personal Public Service (PPS) number (see above).
  • Your doctor’s (GP’s) address, stamp and signature. If you do not know any GPs, one will be assigned to you and your family.

In 9 months’ time, you will have to make a full application for a medical card. This will include a full financial assessment or means test.

You can get information about health care services in Ireland from the HSE website. You can also read about the Irish health system in Ukrainian (pdf) and in Russian (pdf).

Vaccinations in Ireland

Vaccinations help to protect you and your children against preventable infectious diseases. Many vaccinations are free in Ireland. You can read information about the vaccines available from the HSE for you and your children in Ukrainian, Russian and English.

Working in Ireland

You have the right to work in Ireland when you have your permission letter confirming that you have been granted Temporary Protection under the EU Directive. You can also work for yourself (self-employment) and you can access vocational training in Ireland.

Help finding work

Anyone on Jobseekers Allowance must be available for and looking for full-time work. You can work part-time but you should keep looking for full-time work.

You can get help finding work from the Intreo employment services.

You can:

  • Talk to an Employment Support Officer at your local Intreo centre or branch office
  • Go to an employment support event being organised near you for Ukrainians. You should get an invite, but you can attend without one.
  • Find vacancies and apply for jobs using the online jobs website – information is available in Ukrainian and Russian

Your income support when you start working

You can work and get Jobseekers Allowance. However, you can only work a certain number of days and your income must be under a certain amount.

Check how working part time could affect your income support payment using the on-line calculator.

When you start working part time or full time you must contact your local Intreo Office to tell them that your circumstances have changed.

The Department of Social Protection has more information on working in Ireland in Ukrainian and Russian.

Your employment rights

Read more about your employment rights when coming to Ireland from Ukraine. The Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) has information on employment law in Ukrainian (pdf) and Russian (pdf).


You must register and have your qualifications recognised to work in some professions. For example, you must register with the Medical Council to work as a doctor.

The Teaching Council is developing a process to allow people who are qualified teachers in Ukraine to register and teach in Ireland.

Money and tax

To open a bank account you need identification. There is a guide in Ukrainian about opening a bank account if you do not have the standard identification (pdf).

Revenue has information about the taxes you pay as a worker in Ukrainian and Russian.


The Tusla Education Support Service can help you find a school for your children.

Read about how to enrol your children in:

Parents with a child starting primary school can find information in Ukrainian and Russian.

School transport

School transport services are available to Ukrainian students on the same basis as children in Ireland. There will be no charge for this where it is available. Further details will be available soon. Contact or call 057 932 5467 for more information about school transport.

Third level education and training

A new temporary Tuition Fee Scheme will be available for the academic year 2022-2023 to people covered by the Temporary Protection Directive (TPD).

The Tuition Fee Scheme will:

  • Fund tuition fees and the student contribution for students on an authorised transition programme or approved undergraduate and postgraduate course at third-level in Ireland
  • Expand the Student Assistance Fund to eligible students covered by TPD
  • Allow access to SOLAS approved PLC courses and a payment of €6,115 (per year) to be paid in instalments.
  • Allow access to Springboard+ courses

A payment of €1,150 per month to qualified persons pursuing a full-time course in higher education will also be available.

Access to courses is dependent on the availability of places.

Students will have to meet the educational requirements for their chosen course.

More information

You can get information on continuing your third level education in Ireland by contacting the National Student and Researcher (NSR) helpdesk on 01 474 7788, or by emailing

Qualifications from Ukraine

Quality and Qualifications Ireland have information (in Ukrainian) about its qualifications recognition service. This guide helps you to use QQI’s foreign qualifications recognition service (NARIC).

Pets, driving and other issues

Can I bring my pet to Ireland?

There are special arrangements in place for bringing pets from Ukraine. This means you may be able to bring your pets even if they are missing documentation or do not satisfy the usual rules for entering Ireland. The special arrangements only apply if you are travelling with the pet.

If you are bringing pets, you should still bring as much information as you can about your pet, for example, information on vaccinations, microchip and worming.

Can I drive in Ireland?

If you have permission to stay in Ireland under the Temporary Protection Directive, you can exchange your Ukrainian licence for an Irish licence. The new licence is valid for 12 months and applies to cars only. You can apply to exchange your licence in any National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) centre. Book an appointment online to attend an NDLS centre.

You must bring the following with you:

  • Your original Ukrainian driver's license (it will be stored in NDLS)
  • Your Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) - provided by the Department of Social Protection
  • The letter that says you are in Ireland under the Temporary Protection Directive (your residence letter)
  • Your address in Ireland
  • Medical report – this will apply in some cases

You need to fill out an application form for a driver licence at the NDLS office.

You can read more in the frequently asked questions for Ukrainian road users on the Road Safety Authority’s website.

If you bring your car from Ukraine, there are certain importation rules you must follow, depending on how long you stay in Ireland. You can apply for a vehicle temporary exemption when you arrive. This means you do not have to pay vehicle tax. You can contact Revenue for more information.

I want to help

You can pledge accommodation on the Irish Red Cross website. You can pledge a spare room in your home or a vacant property. After you leave your details, someone from the Irish Red Cross will contact you to get further details. The Irish Red Cross is working with the Irish Government to match people who have accommodation to offer, with refugees who have come to Ireland.

If you speak Ukrainian and want to help, you can contact the International Protection Accommodation Service.

You can volunteer to help with conversational English classes through the Third Age.

NASC Migrant and Refugee Rights has a community sponsorship programme that helps people to support refugee families in their local areas. The Open Community supports community sponsorship programmes for refugees.

Read about how people and businesses can help on Business can pledge help on

Further information

You can read about:

The following organisations have further information in English, Ukrainian and Russian:

The European Commission has a freephone helpline in Ukrainian that can give you information on EU entry and travel, your right to education and access to jobs or healthcare.

  • Freephone 00 800 6789 1011 from within the EU
  • Phone +32 22 99 96 96 from outside the EU (charges apply)

The helpline also provides information in official EU languages and Russian and offers a free call back service. You can also contact the European Commission for information through an online contact form.

Page edited: 24 June 2022