Accommodation for people granted international protection

Arrivals from Ukraine

People arriving in Ireland from Ukraine who need somewhere to stay should tell the immigration officer in the airport. The Irish Government is making plans to accommodate people who arrive from Ukraine.

Programme refugees

Accommodation is provided for Programme refugees when they arrive in the State. This accommodation may be in a reception centre, a bed and breakfast, a hotel, a hostel, a house, a flat or an apartment.

Convention refugees, people given subsidiary protection or permission to remain

If you have been granted international protection (refugee status or subsidiary protection) or permission to remain and you have been living in a direct provision accommodation centre, you will have to leave that centre and move into other accommodation. Most centres allow people to stay after they get their status because it is difficult to find housing.

You can apply for social housing or look for private rented accommodation. If you were already living in private rented accommodation, your change of status will not affect your immediate housing circumstances.

Social housing

Local authorities are the main providers of social housing for people who cannot afford to pay for private rented accommodation or buy their own homes. Local authority housing is allocated according to eligibility and need. Rents are based on the household’s ability to pay. Housing associations and housing co-operatives also provide social housing.

To apply for social housing you must register at the office of your local authority to go on the waiting list for housing. The local authorities have a number of housing options depending on your income level and housing need.

The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a form of social housing support for people who have a long-term housing need. To qualify you must be on the local authority’s housing list – which means that you qualify for social housing support. Under HAP you must find your own private rented accommodation - the local authority will not source it for you. The local authority makes the HAP payment to your landlord on your behalf. You pay a weekly HAP rent contribution to the local authority, based on your household’s weekly income and your ability to pay.

Private rented accommodation

If you do not qualify for social housing supports, you can look for private rented accommodation, which you will have to find and pay for yourself.


If you become homeless or you think you may lose your home, you should contact your local authority to access accommodation. Our document on agencies that provide services for homeless people gives details of where to apply for the various supports.

Buying a home

If you have enough finance and a regular income, you can apply for a mortgage to buy a house.

Where to apply

Contact your local authority.

Contact the Department’s representative.

Page edited: 8 March 2022