Student visas to study in Ireland


Travelling to Ireland for study

Citizens of certain countries who wish to pursue a course of study in Ireland must apply for a visa to enter Ireland before they travel here. Information on those who need an entry visa is available in our document: Visa requirements for entering Ireland.

If you are a non-EEA national coming to study in Ireland you must be enrolled in a full-time course on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP). You can find out more in our document on the immigration rules for non-EEA students.

Visa applicants must apply online for their visa - see 'How to apply'. If you wish to study in Ireland for less than 3 months you should apply for a 'C study visa'. If your course lasts longer than 3 months, you should apply for a 'D study visa'.

You will need to provide the following with your visa application. (Please remember, original documents are required and must be in English or accompanied by a notarised translation):

  • Letter of acceptance from a recognised school or college or university in Ireland confirming that you have been accepted on a course of study. This course of study must be full-time (lasting an academic year) and have a minimum of 15 hours per week study time.
  • Evidence of your academic ability to pursue the chosen course through the English language (unless it is an English language course).
  • Evidence that the fees for the course have been paid in full.
  • Evidence that you have enough funds (€7,000) to maintain yourself for the initial part of your stay.
  • Evidence that you or a sponsor have access to at least €7,000 for each subsequent year of your studies, in addition to the course fees for each of those years.
  • Evidence that you have private medical insurance
  • An explanation of any gaps in your educational history
  • Confirmation that you intend to return to your country of permanent residence when you leave Ireland.

Remember, the granting of a student visa to study in Ireland does not confer the automatic right of anyone to join or visit you in Ireland (whether they are a relative or not).

You will find more detailed information on the exact requirements for a student visa on the website of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service of the Department of Justice and Equality.

If I don't need an entry visa to enter Ireland, do I need a student visa to study?

No. If you do not require an entry visa to enter Ireland, you do not require a student visa to study in Ireland. However, all non-EEA nationals, including those with visas, must obtain permission to enter the State by reporting to an Immigration Officer at the port of entry. (The members of the EEA are the 28 countries of the European Union (EU), together with Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein)

You should have all documentation relating to your studies on your person when coming through immigration. In other words, you should have your letter of offer of a place at the school, or educational institution ready for inspection at immigration. You can read more in our document on permission to land in Ireland.

Permission to remain

Students from a non-EEA country who intend studying in Ireland for a period of more than 3 months must register, after they arrive, with the local immigration officer for the district in which they are living (Burgh Quay Registration Office if living in Dublin). Their passport will be endorsed with the conditions and period of time for which they have permission to remain. Students who do not require a visa must have €3,000 when they first register. Information on what documentation students require when applying for permission is available on the website of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS).

Non-EEA students coming to Ireland for the first time may not get permission to remain in Ireland if they have their children with them, or intend their children to join them later on. There is more information about the children of non-EEA students on the INIS website (pdf).

You can find out how to register in our document on Registration of non-EEA nationals in Ireland.

Student visa renewals in Dublin

If you live in Dublin, you can renew your student permission online. This means that you do not have to book an appointment to attend the immigration office in person. Your Irish Residence Permit will be sent to you by post.

Access to employment while in Ireland on a student visa

If you are attending a course on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP) you will have stamp number 2 endorsed on your passport when you register with your local immigration officer. You will be allowed to take up casual employment of up to 20 hours part-time work per week in term time or up to 40 hours per week during college vacation periods, that is, from June to September inclusive and from 15 December to 15 January. Your entitlement to take up employment ceases when your permission to remain expires.

If you are not attending such a course, you will not be entitled to take up part-time work or engage in any business or profession. You will get stamp number 2A on your passport.

You can read information on employment rights of part-time workers in Ireland here.

What do I do if I want to leave for a short while?

From 13 May 2019, a visa required national with a valid Irish Residence Permit (IRP) or GNIB card will not need a re-entry visa when traveling to and from Ireland. Your IRP card (or GNIB card) and passport will be accepted.

Any applications for re-entry visas already submitted to INIS will be returned. If you intend to travel and return before 13 May 2019, you will get an in-person appointment and be issued with a re-entry visa free of charge.

Non-EEA nationals aged under 16 are not currently issued with an IRP therefore re-entry visas for minors will be issued without charge. You should check the INIS website for information on how to apply and current processing times.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct visa (if required) for the country you intend travelling to. Please note that you must obtain a visa from the UK authorities before travelling to Northern Ireland (Counties Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down, Fermanagh and Tyrone). Information on applying for a visa to visit the UK is available from UK Visas and Immigration.


Information on those who need a visa to visit Ireland is available in our document: Visa requirements for entering Ireland. You do not require a visa if you are from an EU/EEA member state.


Standard non-refundable visa application processing fees are:

Single-journey visa: €60

Multiple-journey visa: €100

Certain applicants are not required to pay a fee. They include non-EU Spouses of EU citizens. In addition, applicants from some countries are not required to pay a fee. As this can change from time to time, you should check with your local Irish embassy or consulate, or with the Visa Office - see 'Where to apply'.

Nationals of the countries covered by the Short-stay Visa Waiver Programme who are long-term legal residents of the UK or the Schengen area will still require a visa but will not have to pay the visa fee. The Short-stay Visa Waiver Programme is currently suspended due to COVID-19.

How to apply

You must apply for a visa online. There is information on how to complete an online application in English (pdf) as well as in Arabic (pdf), Chinese (pdf), Russian (pdf), French (pdf), Turkish (pdf), Hindi (pdf) and Urdu (pdf).

Details of what documents you will need and the photographic requirements are on the INIS website.

The Irish Government has started collecting biometric data from certain visa applicants. Since March 2010 all visa applicants aged 6 years and over residing in Nigeria must provide fingerprints. You can find information about biometric data on the INIS website.

Detailed information on the application procedures is available on the website of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS).

Where to apply

Your visa application must be made online.

Irish embassies and consulates

Visa Office

Department of Justice and Equality

Immigration Service Delivery
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

Page edited: 30 July 2020