International Driving Permit
What is an International Driving Permit?
An international driving permit is a translation of your driving licence that allows you to drive in countries outside of the EU/EEA. You should carry your driving licence with it when driving. It is valid for one year. You apply to the AA for an international driving permit.
There are two types of international driving permit issued in Ireland:
- A 1949 Convention International Driving Permit, which is the most commonly issued driving permit and is recognised in most countries.
- A 1926 Convention International Driving Permit, which is required for the following countries - Brazil, Burundi, Iraq, Nigeria and Somalia.
Where can I use my International Driving Permit?
You can use your international driving permit in any of the countries that have signed the 1926 or 1949 UN Convention on road traffic. See the application form (pdf) for a list of countries that recognise the permit.
Many other countries that are not signatories to the 1949 convention recognise the international driving permit and accept it. You should contact your embassy or consulate in advance of travelling to confirm if it is recognized by them.
Who can apply
It is available to Irish residents, who have a current full Irish driving licence and to all EU/EEA licence holders who are resident in Ireland.
You cannot get an international driving permit in Ireland if:
- You have not passed your driving test and have a learner permit
- Your driving licence is due to expire within 6 months
You should always carry your own driving permit (even if you have an international driving permit) when travelling abroad. You may need to produce this licence for inspection, for example, when hiring a car abroad.
Each international driving permit is valid for one year from the date of issue.
How much does it cost
An international driving permit (valid for 1 year) costs €15 for express service). (Includes a €5 admin/postal delivery charge per permit).
The standard service costs €10.
How to apply
You can download an application form for an international driving permit (pdf). A copy of the form is also available from AA Travel Services. You use the same form if you are renewing your permit.
Your application must include the following:
- A copy of your current valid Irish driving licence (front and back)
- A passport sized photograph signed on the back
- The fee of €15.00 (express service) payable by cheque or postal order to the AA or by credit or debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay
- A copy of a household bill dated in the last 3 months (If applying with a non-Irish driving licence)
More information on international driving permits is available on the AA website.
How long will it take to get my International Driving Permit?
If you use the express service (€15), you will get your application within 7 working days, and it is returned to you by normal post.
If you use the standard service (€10), you will get your application within 10 working days.
If you are applying from outside of Ireland, allow an extra 5 working days. This is in case of international postage delays.
Where to apply
Send your completed application form by post in a sealed envelope to: AA Travel Services, P.O. Box 11331, Dublin 2.
If you are looking for a copy of the form or if you need to contact AA Travel Services, you can contact them at: