Unemployed people

Signing on
If you lose your job or are unemployed you may get a social welfare payment. Information about the process of signing on for a jobseeker's payment.

Jobseeker's Benefit
This is a weekly payment to people who have lost their job and are covered by social insurance.

Jobseeker's Allowance
A means-tested payment to people who are unemployed and looking for work.

Means test for Jobseeker's Allowance
To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must satisfy a means test. A means test examines all your sources of income. However, some income is not taken into account in the calculation of your means.
This document is in: Means test for social welfare payments

Jobseeker's Allowance and work
Explains how your income from work and your spouse's income from work can affect your rate of Jobseeker's Allowance.
This document is in: Means test for social welfare payments

Jobseeker's Benefit and work
You may be able to work and get Jobseeker's Benefit. This document explains how work affects your Jobseeker's Benefit.
This document is in: Social welfare payments and work

Self-employed and unemployment
If your business has closed, or if you are self-employed but have less work and less income than before, you may qualify for a social welfare payment.

Signing off when you start work
You are required to notify your Intreo Centre or local Social Welfare Branch Office if you have been claiming social welfare benefits and are returning to work.

COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP)
The COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment was for employees and self-employed people who had lost employment during the COVID-19 public health emergency.

Employment services for jobseekers
A summary of the Department of Social Protection’s employment services for jobseekers.

Information for younger jobseekers
Younger jobseekers must meet the same conditions as all other jobseekers but there are some targeted supports to help them into work.

Jobseeker's Benefit (Self-Employed)
Jobseeker’s Benefit (Self-Employed) is a new scheme to support people who lose their self-employment.

Jobseeker's Transitional payment
The Jobseeker's Transitional payment is a special payment for lone parents whose youngest child is aged between 7 and 13 years. Information about the payment and how to apply.

Older people and jobseeker's payments
An overview of the special provisions that apply to older jobseekers and people who retire early.

Professional artists on Jobseekers Allowance
A scheme for professional artists on Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA) that allows you to focus on your artistic work and develop your portfolio.

Rules for getting a jobseeker's payment
The conditions you must meet to get a jobseeker’s payment and the penalties that apply if you do not meet these conditions.