Checklist: school leavers

The lists and links below are to help you to check out options in relation to employment and education for school leavers.

The headings in the left hand column of each section link to general documents on the subject, and those in the right hand column link to details of specific payments or services.

Leaving school

At what age can I...?

Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number)

Information for school leavers

Information on opening a bank account, starting to save or getting a loan is available on the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission website,

Information on managing money is available from the Money Advice and Budgeting Service website,


Renting a home

Looking for a flat or house to rent

Tenants' rights and obligations

Information on tenants' rights issues is also available from the Threshold website,

Applying for local authority housing

Education and Training

Third-level education

Colleges and qualifications

Applying to college

Higher Education Access Route (HEAR)

Disability Access Route to Education (DARE)

Studying abroad

Information is also available from,,,

Vocational education and training

Education and training options

Post Leaving Certificate courses

Further Education and Training (FET) courses



Financial support

Third-level student fees and charges

Student Grant

Tax relief for third-level fees

Back to Education Allowance

Further Education and Training (FET) allowances

Further information is also available from


Starting work and employment rights and conditions

Types of employment (part-time, full-time, self-employment)

Finding and getting a job

Starting work

Young people at work

Employment rights and conditions (eg contracts, leave, hours at work, trade unions)

Equality in work

Employment and disability

Enforcement and redress

Unemployment and redundancy

Taxes, USC and PRSI

How your income tax is calculated

Introduction to income tax credits and reliefs

Tax and starting work - Pay As You Earn (PAYE)

Universal Social Charge (USC)

Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI)


Sick leave and sick pay

Illness Benefit

Injury at work


Entitlement to health services

Medical Card

GP Visit Card

Drugs payment scheme

Hospital charges

European health insurance card

Social Welfare

Social welfare payments for jobseekers

Jobseeker's Benefit

Jobseeker's Allowance

Page edited: 14 May 2021