Checklist: people parenting alone

If you are parenting alone you can use the lists and links below to check out the main services and entitlements for someone in your situation.

The headings in the left hand column of each section link to general documents on the subject, and those in the right hand column link to details of specific payments or services.

You can find more information on these and other issues in the Birth, Family and Relationships section of this website.

Income supports

Getting a social welfare payment

Social welfare payments for children and families

One Parent Family payment

Jobseeker's Transitional payment

Back to Work Family Dividend

Claiming an extra half-rate social welfare payment

Working Family Payment

Claiming for a child dependent

Signing on for the first time

Benefits and entitlements relating to birth and children

Pregnancy and social welfare payments

Maternity Benefit

Child Benefit

Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme

Getting an interim payment

Exceptional Needs and Urgent Needs Payments

Widows and widowers

Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension

Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner’s (Non-Contributory) Pension

Widowed or Surviving Civil Partner Grant


Rent Supplement

Rental Accommodation Scheme

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)

Local authority housing


Medical card

GP visit card

Legal information

Breakdown of a relationship

Legal options following marital breakdown

Maintenance orders and agreements

Barring, safety and protection orders

Civil legal aid

Cohabiting people

Legal guardianship and cohabiting couples

Access to children and cohabiting couples

Custody of children and cohabiting couples

Separated/divorced/civil partnership dissolved/not living with civil partner


Custody and access to children


Property rights of cohabiting couples

Family and shared homes


One-parent family tax credits and reliefs

Separation and divorce and income tax credits and reliefs

Maintenance and tax


Supports for children

Parents and education

Financial help with going to school

Going back to education and training

Back to Education Programme

Back to Education Allowance

Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme

Social welfare payments and the student grant

Going back to work

Employment schemes

Back to Work Enterprise Allowance

Short-term Enterprise Allowance

Community Employment

Rural Social Scheme



Work Placement Programme

Returning to work

Part-time work

Self employment

Extra benefits

Extra social welfare benefits

Free travel

Household Benefits Package

Fuel Allowance

Diet and Heating Supplements

Exceptional and Urgent Needs Payment

Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance

Other sources of information

State agencies

Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS)

Tusla, the Child and Family Agency

Family Mediation Service

Voluntary agencies


One Family

Page edited: 18 November 2016