Travel documents for people with refugee or subsidiary protection status


People who have international protection (refugee status or international protection) who are living in Ireland may apply for a travel document to allow them to travel outside Ireland.

You can find information about travel documents on the website of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service.


You are eligible to apply to the Minister for Justice and Equality for a travel document if you:

  • Have been granted refugee status in accordance with the Geneva Convention of 1951
  • Are a family member of a person with refugee status who has been granted family reunification
  • Have been declared stateless in accordance with the New York Convention of 1954
  • Have been granted subsidiary protection. (Family members who have been granted permission to remain in Ireland as a result are also eligible to apply for a travel document)
  • Have been declared a Programme refugee in accordance with section 24 of the Refugee Act 1996 as amended

If you have refugee status or subsidiary protection, you may travel freely in and out of the state with this document. You may travel to most EU states with this document without the need to obtain a visa. However, some countries require a visa, so it is always advisable to check with the embassy of whichever country you intend travelling to about visa requirements. You do not require a re-entry visa to come back into Ireland.


Your children need their own travel document. An application for a child must be accompanied by the child’s birth certificate and evidence that the child is resident in Ireland. Travel documents for children aged from 5 to 17 years are valid for up to 10 years. A travel document for a child aged under 5 is valid for up to 5 years.

Alternative travel document

If you have do not have refugee status or subsidiary protection but have been granted permission to remain in Ireland, you should apply for a passport to the embassy of your country. In some exceptional cases people who have been granted permission to remain and who do not have a passport, may be issued with an alternative travel document by the Minister for Justice and Equality.

If you are issued with an alternative travel document, it will be valid until the expiry date of your Irish Residence Permit (IRP). From 13 May 2019, if you have an IRP you will not need a re-entry visa – see ‘Re-entry visas’ below. You will need a visa to enter other EU countries.


The application fee for a travel document is €80.

How to apply

You apply to the Travel Document Unit of INIS using the travel document application form (pdf) - see 'Where to apply' below. You should include the following with your completed application:

A member of the Garda Síochána must sign and stamp 2 of the photographs when witnessing your form. Your travel document will be sent to you by registered post. If your application is refused you will be informed in writing. You are advised not to make any travel arrangements until you receive your travel document.

Re-entry visas:

Re-entry visas: From 13 May, a visa required national with a valid Irish Residence Permit (IRP) or GNIB card will not need a re-entry visa when traveling to and from Ireland. Your IRP (or GNIB card) and passport will be accepted.

Any applications for re-entry visas already submitted to INIS will be returned. If you intend to travel and return before 13 May 2019, you will get an in-person appointment and be issued with a re-entry visa free of charge.

Non-EEA nationals aged under 16 are not currently issued with an IRP therefore re-entry visas for minors will be issued free of charge. You should check the INIS website for information on how to apply and current processing times.

Where to apply

Travel Document Unit

Ministerial Decisions Unit

Repatriation Division
Immigration Services Delivery
13/14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2

Re-entry Visa Processing Office

Department of Justice

Immigration Service Delivery
13/14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2

Opening Hours: 8.30am - 1:30pm Mon-Fri (excluding public holidays)

Page edited: 25 April 2019