Landlords’ rights and obligations


If you own land or a building and lease it to a tenant, you are considered a landlord. Your main legal rights and obligations as a landlord come from landlord and tenant law, as well as from any lease or tenancy agreement (written or spoken) between you and your tenant.

Residential tenancies legislation outlines most landlord’s rights and obligations. The Law Reform Commission has a consolidated version of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, with all the updates to the main 2004 Act.

If you are renting a room in your home, the tenancy does not come under the residential tenancies legislation (though renting out a self-contained flat in your home is covered). Read more in our page Renting out a room in your home.

Leases or other tenancy agreements cannot take away from a landlords or tenants rights and obligations under the legislation. However, you and your tenant can agree on matters that are not covered by legislation in a lease or tenancy agreement, for example, who pays for the utility bills.

The Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) has published a Good Landlord/Tenant Guide (pdf).

Approved housing bodies

Approved housing bodies (AHBs) are covered by residential tenancies legislation and have most of the same rights and obligations that private landlords have. However, there are some differences, including the rules on rent reviews, the minimum standards required and the landlord’s right to end a tenancy.

Student accommodation

Tenants in student-specific accommodation are protected in residential tenancies legislation. This means that these tenants have most of the same rights as private tenants. However, there are some differences, for example, student tenants do not have security of tenure, and landlords may be able to access communal areas without the permission of the tenants.

Tenants in student-specific accommodation only need to give you 28 days’ notice when they end their tenancy. This came in under the Residential Tenancies (No.2) Act 2021.

Find out more about student accommodation tenancies on the RTB’s website.

Accredited training for landlords

The legal framework governing the rental sector is complex and continually changing. The RTB offers free training to landlords through its BetterLet: RTB Accredited Landlord training sessions (pdf) to help landlords manage their tenancies and keep up to date with the policy and legislative changes in the sector.

To become an accredited landlord, you must attend a one-day training session designed to make you aware of your rights and responsibilities as a landlord, and the rights and responsibilities of your tenants. The course also covers:

  • Pre-tenancy guidance
  • How to manage a tenancy throughout from beginning to end
  • Dispute prevention and what to do if things go wrong
  • Minimum standards – how to ensure your property is compliant with the minimum standards
  • How to end a tenancy

Contact the RTB to find out more about upcoming training sessions.

Rights as a landlord

You have the right to:

  • Set the rent
  • Receive the correct rent on the date it is due – but see 'Private tenancies and receivership' below
  • Receive any charges associated with the property (this means taxes and duties or payments)
  • Terminate a tenancy during the first 6 months without giving a reason
  • In certain circumstances – terminate a tenancy at a later stage
  • Be informed about who is ordinarily living in the property (this does not include overnight visitors or short stays)
  • Be informed of any repairs needed
  • Be given reasonable access to the property to carry out repairs
  • Carry out routine inspections at a mutually agreed time
  • Refer disputes to the RTB – but only if you have fulfilled your obligation to register the tenancy - see below
  • Review the rent. There are rules about how often you can review the rent in a private tenancy. These timeframes depend on when the tenancy started and if the property is in a Rent Pressure Zone or not. AHB rents are reviewed every 12 months, or according to the tenancy agreement.
  • For private tenancies only – decide whether the tenant can sub-let or assign a tenancy. However, if you refuse to allow a tenant to assign or sublet a tenancy, this can give the tenant the right to terminate a fixed-term tenancy before it expires.

You do not have the right to:

  • Enter your tenant's home without permission
  • Take or keep your tenant’s property – even if they haven’t paid the rent
  • Charge more than the market rate for the property
  • Penalise your tenant for bringing a dispute to the RTB.

Obligations of a landlord

As a landlord, you must:

  • Register the tenancy every year with the RTB and update them about any changes to the tenancy, such as a change in rent. Annual registration has applied since 4 April 2022.
  • Provide your tenant with a rent book or statement of rent paid
  • Make sure that the property meets certain minimum standards (though the standards for food preparation, storage and laundry purposes do not apply to AHBs)
  • Repair and maintain the interior of the property to the standard it was in at the start of the tenancy
  • Repair and maintain the structure of the property
  • Provide a Building Energy Rating (BER) for the property
  • Reimburse tenants for any repairs they make which are your responsibility
  • Insure the property (if it is impossible to get insurance, or if the cost is unreasonable, this obligation doesn’t apply)
  • Provide the tenant with information about any agents who are authorised to deal on your behalf (such as management companies, agencies, personal representatives)
  • Ensure that the tenant knows how to contact you or your agent
  • Give private tenants 90 days’ notice of a rent review and follow the rules about how often you can do this (AHBs should give notice “as soon as is practicable”)
  • Provide tenants with a valid written notice of termination and follow all the rules around terminating a tenancy

You must also make sure that the tenants meet their obligations. Anyone who is affected by your tenants’ failure to meet their obligations can make a complaint against you to the RTB.

The Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2019 gives the RTB extended powers to investigate, caution and sanction landlords who break their statutory obligations as a landlord. The RTB will investigate if a landlord:

  • Does not comply with Rent Pressure Zone rules
  • Does not register tenancies with the RTB and keep them up-to-date with changes to the rent
  • Does not offer a tenancy back to a tenant, if the property becomes available to rent again, and the tenant was originally asked to leave the property because the landlord was selling the property, changing its use, substantially refurbishing it, or because they needed it for themselves or an immediate family member
  • Provides false or misleading reasons for terminating a tenancy

Find out more about the RTB’s investigations and sanctions unit on the RTB’s website.


You cannot ask for upfront payments of more than 2 month’s rent when renting out a property. This includes a deposit of a month’s rent and one month’s rent in advance. This restriction applies to all tenancies created from 9 August 2021 and came in under the Residential Tenancies (No.2) Act 2021. Students in student-specific tenancies can opt-out of this restriction and pay a larger upfront payment if they want. The RTB has a guidance document (pdf) and FAQs (pdf) about this legislation.

You can only withhold a tenant’s deposit if:

  • The tenant has not given you proper notice when ending the tenancy
  • You have been left with outstanding bills (for electricity, gas etc.) or unpaid rent
  • The tenant has caused damage beyond normal wear and tear

The Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2015 provides for a tenancy deposit protection scheme, where the RTB would manage and hold deposits for tenants and landlords. These provisions are not yet in effect.

Refusing a tenancy

The Equal Status Acts 2000–2015 apply to lettings and accommodation. Landlords cannot discriminate against potential tenants on grounds of gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race or membership of the Traveller community.

You cannot discriminate against a tenant or potential tenant because they are getting a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP), Rent Supplement or any other social welfare payment. This means that you cannot state when advertising accommodation that HAP or Rent Supplement is not accepted and you cannot refuse to rent accommodation to someone because they are getting a social welfare payment. Read more on the website of the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission.

Ending a tenancy

If you want to end a tenancy, you must serve the tenant with a valid written Notice of Termination and give them the correct amount of notice. You must send a copy of this Notice of Termination along with a completed Notice of Termination Return Form (pdf) to the RTB at the same time. It can be emailed to or posted to the RTB. If this is not done the notice of termination is invalid. The RTB recommends that you use certified post when posting the notice of termination to the tenant and the RTB, and that you keep proof of this. You can find out more on ending a tenancy the RTB's website.

Taxation issues

Landlords pay tax on rental income under Revenue's self-assessment system. You can deduct the interest on mortgages used to purchase, improve or repair rented property when working out your rental income for tax purposes. You must show that you have registered all tenancies in the property with the RTB.

Since 2019 you can deduct 100% of the interest on these mortgages.

Interest is treated as accruing on a daily basis and the date the loan was taken out is not relevant. Interest can only be deducted during the period in which the property is let.

Landlords who rent residential property for 3 years to tenants who are getting social housing supports can deduct all of the interest that accrues during that 3-year period. Social housing supports include the Housing Assistance Payment, the Rental Accommodation Scheme and Rent Supplement. You must submit an undertaking to the RTB, stating that you commit to renting a residential property to tenants on social housing supports for 3 years. The RTB will register these undertakings in its Register of Tenancies. You can get the form for registering an undertaking on the RTB's website (pdf).

If you rent out a room or flat in your home you are exempt from income tax on the amount that your tenant pays you for rent and other services, up to €14,000 in a tax year. This exemption does not apply to income you get from renting your property for short-term lets.

If you are living outside Ireland and your tenant pays rent directly to you, the tenant must deduct tax from the gross rent and account for it to Revenue. If the rent is being paid to a collection agent, the collection agent must account for the tax. Read more in our document on tax issues for tenants.

Read further information on Housing tax credits and reliefs.

Private tenancies and receivership

If the mortgage on the property is in arrears and the mortgage lender has appointed a receiver, your tenants must pay the rent to the receiver, but you remain legally responsible for matters such as returning the tenants’ deposits. The receiver may arrange for repairs to be carried out, but it is unclear whether the receiver is required to do this or whether the receiver takes on any of the responsibilities of a landlord.

Read more in the Residential Tenant’s Guide to Receivership (pdf) published by Banking and Payments Federation Ireland and in Threshold’s advice on the appointment of receivers.

Further information and contacts

To register a tenancy, to commit to renting to tenants on social housing supports, or to resolve a dispute with your tenants, contact:

Residential Tenancies Board

PO Box 47
Co. Cork

Opening Hours: 9am to 5pm
Tel: 0818 303 037 or 01 702 8100
Fax: 0818 303 039

Page edited: 7 July 2022