Home owners

Management companies for apartment blocks
An owners' management company must be set up before the developer of an apartment block sells any units.

Renting out a room in your home
Rent-a-room relief makes it possible to earn tax-free rental income when you rent out a room in your home to private tenants.

Ground rent on property
Ground rent is payable on certain properties. What is ground rent? How to buy out ground rent on your property.

Family and shared homes
What is considered to be a family or shared home? Find out the orders that can be made by the courts in relation to the family or shared home.
This document is in: Separation, divorce and dissolution

Property rights of cohabiting couples
This page explains the property rights of cohabiting couples, for example, in relation to buying a home together, making a cohabitation agreement, applying for local authority housing, and getting legal advice.
This document is in: Cohabiting couples

Property rights and the breakdown of a relationship
This page explains whether spouses and cohabiting partners have any property rights following the breakdown of their relationship.
This document is in: Problems in marriages and other relationships

Renting your property for short-term lets
Information about the tax implications and planning rules if you are renting your property or a room in your property to visitors for short-term lets.

Rights of way
A right of way allows you to travel over land that belongs to someone else. This document describes public and private rights of way, as well as how to establish and register a right of way.