Moving to a new home


When moving house or apartment, you may need to close some accounts and to transfer others to your new address. You will also need to change the contact details that various agencies and services hold for you and you may wish to redirect your post for a time.

If you are selling your home, you will need to ensure that matters such as furniture, fittings and carpets are clearly covered in the sale agreement, in order to avoid any disputes in future. If you are a tenant, check the conditions of your tenancy agreement and the required notice periods, in order to avoid any disputes with your former landlord – see ‘Leaving rented accommodation’ below.

This document covers some of the items to be done when you are moving, but it is not an exhaustive list.

Redirecting post

An Post’s redirection service will ensure that your mail is forwarded to your new address. This service is generally offered for periods of 3, 6 and 12 months, but you can extend it for up to 2 years. Download the application form (pdf) or get one at any post office. You will need to provide proof of your identity and evidence of your old address and pay the appropriate fee.

An Post will then redirect all your post to your new address from an agreed date. You will still need to give your new address to anyone else who may be writing to you, as your mail will not be redirected after the agreed period has ended. Read more in these FAQs.

Leaving rented accommodation

If you have been renting, whether from a local authority, housing association or private landlord, you will need to give the landlord proper notice if you decide to move out. If you have a written tenancy agreement or lease, check it to see what notice period has been agreed. You will also need to check the other conditions of your agreement to avoid any disputes with your former landlord.

Private tenants: Notice requirements are described in Private tenants: security of tenure. Your landlord must also abide by the terms of any lease and the provisions of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 as regards giving you proper notice.

You should check the inventory, clean the accommodation and record its condition, as well as paying any bills or charges that are due, otherwise you may lose part or all of your deposit. Read more in Threshold’s checklist on ending a tenancy (pdf).

Transferring utilities

Utility accounts (such as electricity, water, gas and waste collection) will need to be either closed or transferred into the name of the new owners or tenants of your old home. If you are moving from rented accommodation, your landlord may ask you to transfer these services into their name. Take final readings for all metered services before you leave, so that the utility companies can issue final bills, and ensure that you have paid any waste charges that you owe.

If you are moving into a home that has been previously occupied, ask the previous owners to transfer the utility accounts into your name and to make sure that there are no outstanding waste charges. Contact the utility providers in good time to ensure that everything is connected when you move in. Take initial readings for all metered services as soon as you take possession of the premises.

Telephone, broadband, TV

For these services, you may be able to transfer your account(s) from your previous address, depending on where you are moving and the coverage available. Check with your service provider(s) to see whether you can transfer your account(s) or whether you need to arrange for these services separately in your new home. There may be a connection fee, depending on your service provider and the type of service you require.

Television licence

If you have a television, you must have a TV licence. When moving house, you should change the TV licence to your new address. You can do this online if you have your TV Reference number and PIN. Otherwise, you can contact your local TV licence records office to request a transfer, or else bring the licence to a post office with a document showing the new address and asking for your details to be updated. Your licence will be updated and re-issued to you.

Electoral Register

The Electoral Register is held by your local authority. You can check it online or in local authority offices, post offices, Garda stations and public libraries. A new register is compiled each year and you have until 25 November to have your name included or to make any changes (such as a change of address) to your details. If you miss this deadline, you can apply to have your name included in the Supplement to the Electoral Register.

The relevant forms are available on Send the completed form to your local authority.


Driving licence: You are not obliged to change the address on your driving licence or learner permit, but it is advisable to do so. You must apply in person to one of the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) centres and supply documentary evidence of the change of address.

Motor insurance: You must contact your motor insurance company or broker and let them know your new address so that your insurance policy can be updated. Where the vehicle is kept is one of the factors that affects your insurance premium. If you are a member of a breakdown service, you should change your address with them also.

Vehicle registration: Fill in the change of address section on your vehicle registration certificate and return it to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Computer Services Division, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shannon, Co. Clare. They will update your details and send you a new registration certificate.

Home, health and life insurance

You will need to contact your insurance company about switching your house and contents insurance to your new home. Check if the contents of your home will be covered during the move. Many insurers will insure contents in transit, if they are packed and moved by professional movers. If not, most moving firms provide insurance.

If you have health insurance, life insurance or other insurance policies, these insurers will also need your new address details.

Schools and colleges

If your children will still attend their current school, it will need your new address and contact details. If you have enrolled them in a new school, tell their current school when they will leave and ask it to transfer your children's records to the new school.

If any member of the household has applied for a college place or a student grant, they should record the new address on their application, even if you have arranged for your post to be redirected.

Financial institutions

You may choose to move your bank account to a more local branch. If not, ensure that your current bank branch has your new address. You will also need to contact your credit union, credit card company, pension provider and any other financial institutions where you have accounts.


You will also need to notify your change of address to Revenue. You will need to quote your Personal Public Service Number.


Your employer will need your new contact details. This also applies if you are on an employment scheme. Even if you are paid electronically, you should notify the payroll section where you work.

Social welfare payments

If you receive any social welfare payments, such as Child Benefit or Jobseeker's Benefit, you will need to contact your social welfare office or Intreo centre to let them know your new address. even if you are paid electronically. They will require proof of your new address, such as a utility bill or bank statement.

You will also have to update the details of any services, such as gas, electricity, or phone, for which you receive the Household Benefits Package.


You will need to notify your change of address to your doctor, dentist, optician and any other health professionals who deal with you. If you are moving to a new area and wish to change, you can contact the Local Health Office for details of health professionals in your area. The Local Health Office can also provide a list of GPs in the area who participate in the medical card scheme. If you are changing, ask your current health professionals to transfer your records to the new ones.

Page edited: 14 April 2015