Inheriting a local authority tenancy


A relative who has been living with a tenant may be able to take over the tenancy if the tenant dies. Local authority practice varies on this; some will require the relative to have lived in the house for a minimum number of years, others will only allow the relative to take over the tenancy if the housing is suitable for their needs. The rules for succession to tenancy are usually outlined in the local authority's housing allocations scheme.

Housing associations have established their own policies on this. If you are a housing association tenant, contact your housing association for information on inheriting a tenancy.


How to apply

Contact your local authority or housing association.

Page edited: 21 January 2015