Local authority and social housing

Applying for local authority/social housing
How to qualify for social housing support from a local authority or other provider.

Inheriting a local authority tenancy
A relative who has been living with a tenant may be able to take over the tenancy if the tenant dies.

Transferring to another local authority home in the same area
Local authorities operate transfer lists for people who want to move to another local authority home. Private transfers can be arranged with the local authorities' permission.

Housing associations and co-operatives
Housing associations and co-operatives are charities that provide affordable rented housing.

Buying a local authority house or flat
Schemes for local authority tenants to buy their homes at a discount.

Your rights as a housing association tenant
Tenants of housing associations have very similar rights to those of private tenants.

Repossession of rented social housing
The procedures that local authorities must follow before repossessing a rented dwelling.

Joint tenancy and relationship breakdown
If your relationship with your joint tenant has broken down, you can ask for their name to be removed from the tenancy agreement.

Rent arrears in local authority housing
What to do if you are a local authority tenant falling behind with your rent.

Anti-social behaviour in social housing
Local authorities can evict tenants who are engaging in anti-social behaviour.

Rental Accommodation Scheme
The Rental Accommodation Scheme is run by local authorities for people getting Rent Supplement for more than 18 months.

Social housing waiting lists
People who are qualified for social housing support and who have not yet received it are recorded on the housing waiting list. This document describes how these houses are allocated and how the local authorities keep track of the number of households on the list.