Your rights as an approved housing body tenant

What are my rights if I am renting from an approved housing body?

If you are a tenant of an approved housing body or other voluntary housing organisation, your tenancy is covered by residential tenancies legislation. This means that you have most of the same rights and responsibilities as a tenant in private rented housing. For example:

Approved housing bodies came under the scope of residential tenancies legislation on 7 April 2016, when the Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2015 came into effect.

How are my rights different to a tenant in private rented housing?

If you are a tenant of an AHB, you have most of the same rights and responsibilities as a tenant in private rented housing, with some exceptions, which are:

  • The minimum standards for food preparation, storage and laundry purposes do not apply to AHBs. This means that AHBs do not have to provide you with white goods, such as washing machines.
  • Rent reviews should be carried out in accordance with your tenancy agreement (if there is one) or else no more than once a year. There is no specific notice period for a rent review, but you must be given notice as soon as is practicable.
  • You may not assign or sublet your AHB tenancy
  • Most AHB tenants will get security of tenure after 6 months. Though, this does not apply if you are living in transitional accommodation and the tenancy is for 18 months or less.
  • Your AHB can validly end your tenancy as long as they meet all the legal requirements. But, they cannot terminate a Part 4 tenancy because they need the property for their own or a family member's use.

Read more about your rights in our page Tenants’ rights and responsibilities. The RTB also has information for tenants and landlords.

Who do I contact if I have an issue?

Contact your AHB if you have a question or issue with your tenancy. There is information on our website about what to do about anti-social behaviour and what to do if your relationship with your joint tenant ends.

You can contact the Residential Tenancies Board, if you have an issue with your AHB tenancy. The RTB has a dispute resolution service to help tenants and landlords resolve their issues. You can also contact Threshold, the national housing charity, for information and advice.


21 Stoneybatter
Dublin 7

Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 9.30 am - 5 pm
Tel: 1800 454 454
Fax: (01) 677 2407

Residential Tenancies Board

PO Box 47
Co. Cork

Opening Hours: 9am to 5pm
Tel: 0818 303 037 or 01 702 8100
Fax: 0818 303 039
Page edited: 14 February 2023