Chiropody, podiatry and foot care services

What is chiropody and podiatry?

If you have problems with your feet or lower limbs, a chiropodist is a health professional that can examine, diagnose and treat any diseases or abnormalities your feet may have.

Chiropodists can also help alleviate painful symptoms and improve mobility.

Chiropodists are also often known as podiatrists.

If you need chiropody services, you may be referred to a chiropodist by your GP or local public health nurse. You can also contact chiropodists directly.

How to get chiropody services in Ireland

The availability of chiropody services from the Health Service Executive (HSE) can depend on the area you live in. Chiropody services may be provided by the Local Health Office or by voluntary organisations on behalf of the HSE.

Contact your GP, public health nurse or Local Health Office for information on chiropody services in your area.

Can I get chiropody services?

If chiropody is available in your area from the HSE, you will usually get priority if you have:

Chiropody treatment card

In some areas you can apply for a chiropody treatment card if you have a medical card, and you are:

  • Aged over 65 years or
  • Living with Diabetes

You can check if this is available in your area and get an application form from your Local Health Office.

Tax relief and chiropody services

You may be able to claim tax relief on medical expenses if you pay for chiropody services. You can also claim tax relief on doctor visits and prescription drugs.

Read more about tax relief for medical expenses.

Chiropodist and podiatrist organisations

There are currently 3 separate professional bodies representing chiropodists:

You can ask them to check whether your chiropodist is registered as a member.

CORU, the Health and Social Care Professionals Council, is the organisation that will register and regulate podiatrists.

Read more about the registration of social care professionals here.

Page edited: 24 July 2023