Other types of leave from work


There are many types of leave or time off work to which you may be entitled. These include:

There are also times when you may require leave or time off work for specific reasons. This could be when you have a family crisis, when you are called for jury service or if you wish to take study leave or a career break. In some cases you are entitled to paid leave but in others you are not.

Force majeure leave

If you have a family crisis the Parental Leave Acts 1998 and 2019 give an employee a limited right to leave from work. This is known as force majeure leave. It arises where, for urgent family reasons, the immediate presence of the employee is indispensable owing to an injury or illness of a close family member.

Force majeure leave does not give any entitlement to leave following the death of a close family member.

A close family member is defined as one of the following:

  • A child or adopted child of the employee
  • The husband, wife or partner of the employee
  • Parent or grandparent of the employee
  • Brother or sister of the employee
  • Person to whom the employee has a duty of care (that is, he/she is acting in loco parentis)
  • A person in a relationship of domestic dependency with the employee
  • Persons of any other class (if any) as may be prescribed

The maximum amount of leave is 3 days in any 12-month period or 5 days in a 36-month period. You are entitled to be paid while you are on force majeure leave - see 'How to apply' below for more details. Your employer may grant you further leave.

You are protected against unfair dismissal for taking force majeure leave or proposing to take it.

Compassionate leave

If a member of your close family dies you have no entitlement to force majeure leave. However, you may be able to take compassionate leave. This will depend on your employment contract, the custom and practice within your workplace or it will depend on your employer's discretion. You should check with your employer.

There is a range of bereavement counselling and support services available. You can also find information about bereavement and grief in the workplace on the Irish Hospice Foundation’s website.

Jury service

If you are called for jury service, generally you must attend. The Juries Act 1976 requires that an employee or an apprentice who is called for jury service be given time off to attend the court. Under the Act while you are absent from work to comply with a jury summons you are entitled to be paid and you should not lose any other employment entitlements or rights. So, for example, the time spent on jury service will not mean any loss of annual leave entitlement.

Career break or study leave

You do not have an automatic right to take unpaid leave such as a career break or study leave. You may have a provision in your contract of employment about this or you may be able to negotiate with your employer. An employer should consider requests for a career break or study leave made on an individual basis.

How to apply

Force majeure leave: you must notify your employer as soon as practicably possible that you need to avail of force majeure leave. Immediately on your return to work, you must make your application in writing to your employer.

Your application in writing should include:

  • Your name
  • PPS number
  • Employers name and address
  • Date(s) on which you took force majeure leave and reasons why
  • Your relationship to the person who was injured or ill

Alternatively, your employer could have a specific force majeure form that they want you to fill in.

Your contract of employment may require you to provide a medical certificate. As with parental leave, your employer must keep records of all force majeure leave taken by employees.

Further information

Further information about force majeure leave is available from Workplace Relations Commission's Information and Customer Service - see 'Where to apply' below.

How do I make a complaint

If there is a dispute between you and your employer about force majeure leave the issue can be referred within 6 months of the dispute occurring. You must use the online complaint form available on workplacerelations.ie. The time limit may be extended for up to a further 6 months, but only where there is a reasonable cause which prevented the complaint being brought within the normal time limit.

Workplace Relations Commission - Information and Customer Service

O'Brien Road
R93 E920

Opening Hours: Mon. to Fri. 9.30am to 1pm, 2pm to 5pm
Tel: (059) 917 8990
Locall: 1890 80 80 90
Page edited: 15 February 2021