Safe Pass programme


Safe Pass is a safety awareness training programme for construction workers. It is a one-day programme that allows them to work on construction sites without being a risk to themselves or others. Employers are required by law to ensure that employees on construction sites carry Safe Pass cards. As a result, employers must ensure that all employees are properly trained.

The Safe Pass programme is operated and managed by SOLAS and aims to:

  • Raise the standard of safety awareness in the construction industry.
  • Ensure that all construction site workers undergo basic health and safety awareness training to prevent accidents and avoid health hazards.
  • Maintain a register of personnel who have completed the Safe Pass programme.
  • Provide all Safe Pass participants with a Safe Pass registration card to confirm that the holders have attended a formal course in health and safety awareness.


In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, contingency measures are now in place for expired Safe Pass cards (after 1 March 2020) which cannot be renewed. These cards will be deemed valid until further notice.


All workers in the construction sector, including apprentices, trainees and on-site security workers, must have received safety awareness training and have a Safe Pass registration card before they can work on construction sites.

Every contractor (or other person working on their behalf) is required by law to ensure that everyone under their direct control on a construction site has received Safe Pass training and has been issued with a current Safe Pass registration card. Under health and safety legislation, employers are required to allow their employees paid time off from work to attend safety awareness training.

There are FAQs about the Safe Pass programme on the Health and Safety Authority website.

Safe Pass registration cards

You will be issued with a Safe Pass registration card when you have successfully completed the one-day Safe Pass training programme. This card lasts for 4 years from the date of the training course. If you leave your workplace, you can keep your registration card, provided it is in date. When it expires, you must then attend a further Safe Pass training course.

If your card has been lost, stolen or damaged you can apply online for a replacement card. You can find further details on how to do this on SOLAS.

It is illegal to forge or alter a registration card or to make any other card that resembles a registration card. All of the personal details on your registration card must be accurate and it is illegal for you to provide false information to SOLAS.

Content of the Safe Pass programme

The training modules in the Safe Pass programme are:

  • Site safety, site safety legislation and site accident reporting.
  • Introduction to risk assessment.
  • Risk assessment for working at height, working with electricity and when excavating.
  • General site safety, including the use of construction equipment and the safe use of vehicles.
  • Personal safety, using personal protective equipment, working with noise and vibrations, manual handling and personal health and welfare.

Safe Pass tutor accreditation

Prospective Safe Pass tutors must have a recognised training or education qualification and meet certain criteria. Priority will be given to candidates who can demonstrate that they can deliver the Safe Pass Programme on a regular basis.

Paying for the course

Generally the employer pays for the one-day Safe Pass course. Under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 2005, employers must allow employees' paid time off from their duties for safety awareness training.

You are not required to reimburse your employer for the cost of the course if you leave your job, (unless you have signed something in your contract of employment stating you will reimburse any training fees incurred before you have given a certain period of service).

If you are unemployed, and have been offered a job on a construction site but need to have a Safe Pass Card before you start work, your local Intreo Centre may be able to help with the fee for the training. See the Training Support Grant for more information.

How to apply

Employers, trainers or individuals who want to participate in the Safe Pass programme can apply by contacting an approved Safe Pass tutor on the Safe Pass Accredited Tutors register.

If you are looking for accreditation as a Safe Pass tutor, you should email to request an application form.

Where to apply

The Safe Pass programme is operated and managed by SOLAS.

Page edited: 6 April 2020