Grants for adapting or equipping the workplace for staff with disabilities
Grant assistance is available for employers, employees and self-employed people who need to adapt the workplace or purchase specialised equipment for staff with disabilities. This grant is called the Workplace Equipment/Adaptation Grant (WEAG) and you can apply for the grant if the person with a disability is already employed or is about to be employed by you. Alternatively, if you have a disability, you can apply for the grant yourself if you are already in employment or about to start employment or self-employment.
You can get a grant for a range of adaptations and equipment including:
- Minor building modifications, such as ramps or modified toilets
- Alarm systems with flashing lights
- Voice synthesizers for computers or amplifiers for telephones
Who can get the grant?
You can apply for this grant if you:
- Have been offered employment or an apprenticeship in the private sector
- Are in employment in the private sector and have recently changed jobs because you have been re-deployed or promoted
- Are in employment in the private sector and you acquired a disability while in employment, or you have a condition that has deteriorated
- Are about to become self-employed and need adaptations to your workplace or equipment
Who cannot get the grant?
Public sector employers and employees cannot claim this grant. Public sector employers (for example, government departments, State agencies, the Health Service Executive, local authorities) must facilitate staff with disabilities by making assistive technology, adaptive equipment and facilities, aids and appliances available. They must do this from their own resources.
The maximum grant is €6,350. This is available towards the cost of adapting or purchasing equipment. This grant can also be used to upgrade adapted equipment which was funded previously, and for training people so they use the equipment.
How to apply
You or your employer can apply for the grant if you are already employed or about to start employment.
- Complete Part 1 (pdf) and Part 2 (pdf) of the Reasonable Accommodation Fund application form. Forms are also available from your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office.
- Identify the equipment or adaptation that is needed, justifying why it is needed
- Submit medical evidence confirming that your disability means that the equipment or adaptations are needed so you can do your job
- Provide quotations for the adaptation or equipment. You must get 2 quotes for costs over €700 and 3 quotes for costs over €1,500
- Supply plans and timescale for any workplace adaptations
A Case Officer from the Department will meet you to review the application. If approved, the grant is then paid directly to the applicant to cover the agreed costs.