Third-level education and COVID-19


Colleges reopened at the start of the new academic year 2020-2021. You can check your college’s arrangements during COVID-19.

The Government has published a plan for managing COVID-19 over the next 6 months. The plan sets out 5 levels that correspond to the severity of COVID-19 in a location. You can read more about the Government’s plan for living with COVID-19.

Ireland is at Level 5. You can find out more about what this means for further and higher education.

Higher education institutions across Ireland have introduced enhanced public health measures. Universities and colleges will use remote learning where possible and minimise on-campus activities.

You should check with your institution for specific arrangements.

If you are renting

You are expected to pay rent during the emergency period. Any rent arrears built up will be payable, but landlords have been asked to show understanding and reach local arrangements in these circumstances.

If you have problems paying your rent during the emergency period, you should engage as soon as possible with your landlord.

New rental laws that protect tenants economically affected by COVID-19 who have fallen into rent arrears and who are at risk of losing their tenancy will apply until 10 January 2021.

Read more about emergency measures in Renting and COVID-19.

If you are in rent difficulties you can contact the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) and the national housing charity, Threshold, which operates the national Tenancy Protection Service.

Student grant

The online application process for the 2020-2021 academic year closes at midnight on Thursday, 5 November 2020.

You can read more about qualifying for a student grant and frequently asked questions about COVID-19 and student grant funding.

For more information, you can contact Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) on 0761 08 7874 or email SUSI at

Student supports

This can be a stressful time. You can stay in touch with information and frequently asked questions on your college’s website.

You should continue to contact your relevant university support office for disability, counselling, financial aid and academic supports. The Union of Students of Ireland offers tips on how to mind your mental health.

You can find out about the supports available from the student counselling services at your college.

Third-level students can also access mental health support by texting 50808. The service is free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

International students studying in Ireland

Our document Immigration and employment permits during COVID-19 has information for student visa holders.

The Irish Council for International Students has a resource for international students who are affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. You should also check your college’s arrangements and advice for international students.

The HSE provides information on COVID-19 in different languages.

Entry to third level education 2020-2021

The results of the Leaving Certificate Calculated Grades were published on Monday, 7 September 2020.

From Friday, 11 September 2020, the CAO started to issue offers for colleges and universities. Read more about the key CAO dates for 2020-2021.

The issuing of Leaving Certificate Calculated Grades results will meet CAO and all UCAS deadlines.

Read more about the Leaving Certificate 2020 and calculated grades.

Further information

The HSE have developed an information pack on how to protect yourself and others from coronavirus. Read about the public health measures for Ireland.

You can read the latest updates on

You can also get information from the Union of Students in Ireland (USI).

Page edited: 22 October 2020