You are here: Home > Social Welfare > Social welfare payments > Unemployed people > Signing off when you start work

Signing off when you start work


You may get Jobseeker's Allowance, Jobseeker's Benefit or credits if you are registered as a jobseeker

If you are registered as a jobseeker (in other words, signing-on with the Department of Social Protection), you should inform your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office of the date when you are going to start work. In some areas you can do this online.

Notifying your Intreo Centre or local Social Welfare Branch Office about when you are going to start work will ensure that you can get any payment due to you up to the date you start work.

You can also get advice about possibly keeping some of your existing benefits and supports when you return to work. When you start work you may be entitled to additional benefits, for example, Family Income Supplement (FIS).

Page edited: 2 October 2014



Related Documents

  • Signing on
    If you lose your job or are unemployed you may get a social welfare payment. Information about the process of signing on for a jobseeker's payment.
  • Losing your job
    If you lose your job you need to find out about the different payments and services for unemployed people.
  • Gateway
    Gateway is a local authority work opportunities scheme for unemployed people who are selected for participation by the Department of Social Protection.

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.