You are here: Home > Social Welfare > Social welfare payments > Death related benefits > Standard Bereavement Grant

Print Page Send to a Friend

Standard Bereavement Grant


The Bereavement Grant is a once-off payment to help with funeral costs. Eligibility for this grant is not related to your ability to pay for the funeral. Eligibility is usually based on PRSI contributions.

The Bereavement Grant has been discontinued and is not paid for deaths occurring on or after 1 January 2014. Applications for bereavement grants will be accepted up to December 2014, provided the date of death is before 1 January 2014. Note that applications for bereavement grants must be submitted within 12 months of the date of death.

Budget 2014

The Bereavement Grant of €850 was discontinued for deaths after 1 January 2014.

The Funeral Grant under the Occupational Injuries Scheme will continue to be paid. The six weeks' payment after death (where the deceased person’s payment continues for 6 weeks to their spouse or partner who is also getting a weekly welfare payment), the Widowed or Surviving Civil Partner’s Grant of €6,000 and assistance with funeral costs under Exceptional Needs Payments are unaffected.


A Bereavement Grant is paid on the death of:

  • An insured person
  • The spouse or civil partner of an insured person
  • The widow or widower of an insured person
  • A child under age 18, or under age 22 if in full-time education (where either parent or the person that the child normally lives with satisfies the PRSI contribution conditions)
  • A contributory pensioner
  • A spouse or civil partner of a contributory pensioner,
  • The qualified adult or qualified child of a contributory pensioner
  • An orphan who was getting Guardian's Payment (Contributory) or on the death of their guardian
  • A person who was aged between 16 and 22 and getting Disability Allowance

Note that if a pensioner qualifies for a contributory pension but chose to be paid a non-contributory pension at a higher rate, they or their spouse, civil partner or dependants are still eligible for a Bereavement Grant. Also, someone for whom the contributory pensioner would have been getting an Increase for a Qualified Adult, but for the fact that they were getting a non-contributory payment in their own right will qualify (for example, a contributory pensioner's spouse or civil partner who is getting a Carer's Allowance, State Pension (Non-Contributory) or Blind Pension.)

To qualify for a Bereavement Grant:

  • The deceased person must have died between 2 February 1999 and 31 December 2013
  • The applicant must be an insured person or the spouse, civil partner or dependent child/children of an insured person. (This includes Class A, Civil and public servants (Class B and Class D insurance), self-employed people (Class S) and voluntary contributors.)
  • The deceased must either have a set number of contributions paid over a specified time period (see 'How to qualify using your social insurance record'), or have been getting one of a number of specified contributory social welfare payments or aged between 16 and 22 and getting Disability Allowance.

How to qualify using your social insurance record

To qualify for the Bereavement Grant based on your social insurance contributions, you must have the following:

  • At least 156 weeks paid PRSI contributions since you began insurable employment


  • At least 26 weeks paid PRSI since you began insurable employment (see Note below)


If you have at least 26 weeks paid PRSI contributions since you began insurable employment, you must also have:

  • 39 weeks paid or credited PRSI contributions in the relevant tax year


  • A yearly average of 39 weeks paid or credited over the 3 or 5 tax years before the relevant tax year


  • A yearly average of 26 weeks paid or credited PRSI contributions between 1979 (or starting work if later) and the end of the tax year before the person died or reached pension age, (age 66 at present)


  • A yearly average of 26 weeks paid PRSI or credited contributions between 1 October 1970 (or since starting work if later) and the end of the tax year before the person died or reached pension age (age 66 at present)


This is a once-off payment of €850. The grant is paid by direct payment to an account in a financial institution.

How to apply

You should download and complete the application form BG1 (pdf) within 12 months of the date of death. You can also obtain an application form from your local social welfare office. You will need to forward the deceased's PPS number and death certificate with the application form. You will also be required to forward the funeral bill or receipt of payment with your application for the grant. (You should note that photocopies of the death certificate and funeral bill/receipt are not acceptable. Death certificates for social welfare purposes are available from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages).

One of the following can claim the payment:

  • The personal representative (executor or administrator) of the deceased
  • The spouse, civil partner or children of the deceased
  • The husband, wife, or civil partner of any of the next of kin
  • Any other person claiming entitlement

If a person getting a payment from the Department of Social Protection dies, you should:

  • Tell the Department of the death as soon as possible
  • Return the person’s social services card (this is the card that they use to collect their EIT (Electronic Information Transfer) payment at the Post Office). You should note both the PPS Number and card number for your reference
  • Return their Free Travel Pass

In many cases, the spouse, civil partner, cohabitant or carer will receive a payment for six weeks following the death.

Where to apply

Department of Social Protection

Social Welfare Services
College Road

Opening Hours:This office does not offer a service to personal callers. All queries must be made using the online enquiry form, by telephone or in writing.
Tel:(071) 915 7100
Locall:1890 500 000

Page updated: 14 February 2014



Related Documents

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.