Checklist of things to do following a bereavement

Legal Issues



  • If the deceased held a mortgage, change the name on the mortgage
  • Change the name on the house deeds
  • If living in rented accommodation, arrange to have the name on the tenancy agreement changed
  • Change the name on household utility bills
  • Contact An Post to re-direct post to the executor or administrator of the estate


  • Notify the deceased's employer if an employee or the school/college if in education
  • Contact the Local Health Office of the deceased or voluntary organisation if they were getting community care health services
  • Contact the doctor/hospital if the deceased was awaiting any appointments
  • Contact the travel agency, hotel, airline etc., if the deceased had made reservations, to enquire about any refunds
  • Return the deceased's passport to the passport office for cancellation
Page edited: 20 June 2016