Speech and language therapy services


The public health service may provide a speech and language therapy service to people with communication difficulties. These services may be provided by the Health Service Executive (HSE) and delivered by speech and language therapists.

Speech and language therapists assess, diagnose, and treat people with communication difficulties in a wide variety of settings including local health centres, hospitals and schools. Therapy services help people with speech, language, fluency, voice and swallowing difficulties.

Some people may fail to access education, social, economic and career opportunities due to communication difficulties of one kind or another. Therapy services help people to maximise their communication potential and can help with daily living.


Speech and language therapy services may be available to people with communication difficulties through Local Health Offices or voluntary organisations on contract to the HSE.

Public health speech and language therapy services are free and, in most areas, priority is given to children. The service may be provided in schools or in health centres or clinics.

Adults may also avail of speech and language therapy services if referred by their family doctor (GP), public health nurse or as part of combined care provided in public hospitals. Priority is given to adults who have a speech and language disability that has been caused by a stroke, accident or a progressive neurological disorder.


Speech and language therapy services provided through the public health service are free of charge. You have to pay for private services. However, you may be able to claim tax relief on medical expenses.

Where to apply

Contact your Local Health Office for information on services in your area. You also can be referred for speech and language therapy by your GP or public health nurse.

Speech and language therapists are regulated by CORU which has opened a register of therapists. All practising Speech and Language Therapists must apply for registration before 31 October 2016.

The following voluntary and professional organisations can give you advice and information on speech and language therapy services in Ireland.

The Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists (IASLT) is the professional association of speech and language therapists in Ireland. It provides some useful factsheets online about common speech and language disorders. Further information is available from:

Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists

Suite 108 The Capel Building
Mary's Abbey
Dublin 7

Tel:+353 (0)1 8728082
Homepage: http://www.iaslt.ie/

Irish Stammering Association

Carmichael House
North Brunswick St

Tel:+353 (0)1 8724405
Fax:+353 (0)1 8735737
Homepage: http://www.stammeringireland.ie
Email: mail@stammeringireland.ie

Cleft Lip and Palate Association

c/o 36 Woodlands Avenue
Dun Laoghaire
Dublin 15

Tel:+353 (0)87 1319803
Homepage: http://www.cleft.ie/
Email: info@cleft.ie

The Volunteer Stroke Scheme is a scheme that helps people who have developed communication disorders as a result of experiencing stroke and helps their families.

Page edited: 28 September 2015